• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What type of Bee is this (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
Help?

There is a Bees nest somewhere underground just where we park our car what type of Bees are these, I have heard of miner bees are these of that species. Is it possible to get them to move on by disturbing the nest if so how. I don't want to put poison down but they are causing a problem.

Saphire

Attachments

• BEES.jpg
    BEES.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 201
  • bees nest.jpg
    bees nest.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 177
  • BEES1.jpg
    BEES1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
HouseCrow said:
Saphire,
could it be Red-tailed Bumble-bee (Bombus lapidarius)?

please read this first before you start destroying nests...(not suggesting you're planning to but they may have provide you with an answer)
http://www.bumblebee.org/faq.htm
cheers,
HouseCrow

HouseCrow Thank you

They definately look like the Bombus Lapidarous.
I have read everything on what to do and what not to do. There must have been well over 50 going back into the nest this evening. I will just have to leave alone and hope that they will be moving on soon.

Saphire

Saphire said:
Help?

There is a Bees nest somewhere underground just where we park our car what type of Bees are these, I have heard of miner bees are these of that species. Is it possible to get them to move on by disturbing the nest if so how. I don't want to put poison down but they are causing a problem.
Saphire

Hello Saphire,
They are indeed Bombus lapidarius. Although one of the commoner Bumblebees they do a lot more good than harm. At this time of the year the nest population will be at peak numbers and within a week or two will be producing new queens and males. Shortly after that the colony will decline in numbers and by early September any problems you had with them will be over.

It isn't possible to remove the nest which is usually underground without risking the ire of the colony. Usually bumblebees are very peaceful and easy going insects. I have studied them for over 40 years, and have handled thousands without once being stung once.

Many of our Bumblebee species are in severe decline with only half a dozen species so being relatively common. Yet they are the most important insect group in the country. Without them you would soon have no flowers in your garden or countryside, fruit on your trees and bushes. The only crops that could be grown would be grasses and a few species of nuts that are all wind pollinated. Contrary to popular opinion, Honeybees are not the major pollinators of crops, Bumblebees are.

Putting down any poison will effect far more wildlife than just those bees. I cannot understand what your problem with these bees is, or is it perhaps that you are afraid of them. In all honesty they are generally harmless, unless you upset them severely. If you have children, just warn them to stay away from the nest area, it's as simple as that. As I said in a few weeks your problem will resolve itself naturally. One all the bees have left you can block up the access hole and the problem shouldn't re-occur. All our wildlife needs to be treated with respect, they have just as much right to life as you have, albeit theirs is very short. Only the new Queens will survive until next year.

Harry

Hi Harry
Thanks for the information I have taken that onboard, They are in a very awkward place, just behind the front wheel of the drivers side of the car so as you are getting in and out of the car they are flying in. there is knowhere else we can put the car so we are having to be very careful. The problem is
we can't avoid driving over the entrance hole each time we go out. You would have thought they would have moved on they are constantly having to re-open the entrance.

Saphire

harry eales said:
Hello Saphire,
They are indeed Bombus lapidarius. Although one of the commoner Bumblebees they do a lot more good than harm. At this time of the year the nest population will be at peak numbers and within a week or two will be producing new queens and males. Shortly after that the colony will decline in numbers and by early September any problems you had with them will be over.

It isn't possible to remove the nest which is usually underground without risking the ire of the colony. Usually bumblebees are very peaceful and easy going insects. I have studied them for over 40 years, and have handled thousands without once being stung once.

Many of our Bumblebee species are in severe decline with only half a dozen species so being relatively common. Yet they are the most important insect group in the country. Without them you would soon have no flowers in your garden or countryside, fruit on your trees and bushes. The only crops that could be grown would be grasses and a few species of nuts that are all wind pollinated. Contrary to popular opinion, Honeybees are not the major pollinators of crops, Bumblebees are.

Putting down any poison will effect far more wildlife than just those bees. I cannot understand what your problem with these bees is, or is it perhaps that you are afraid of them. In all honesty they are generally harmless, unless you upset them severely. If you have children, just warn them to stay away from the nest area, it's as simple as that. As I said in a few weeks your problem will resolve itself naturally. One all the bees have left you can block up the access hole and the problem shouldn't re-occur. All our wildlife needs to be treated with respect, they have just as much right to life as you have, albeit theirs is very short. Only the new Queens will survive until next year.

Harry

Saphire said:
Hi Harry
Thanks for the information I have taken that onboard, They are in a very awkward place, just behind the front wheel of the drivers side of the car so as you are getting in and out of the car they are flying in. there is knowhere else we can put the car so we are having to be very careful. The problem is
we can't avoid driving over the entrance hole each time we go out. You would have thought they would have moved on they are constantly having to re-open the entrance.

Saphire

One way your problem may be solved, at least for the next few weeks, is to drive or reverse into your parking area, so you can get in or out of the car on the opposite side of the vehicle to the nest. Just a thought.

No jokes please from male readers on the ability of ladies to reverse park. lol. This lady has enough of a problem with Bees.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back