• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Bats (1 Viewer)

gary jb

I Am Interested To Know How Many British Bats There Are,what Is The Biggest,smallest,most Common And Which I Am Most Likely To See In The North West.
Gary........

Hi Gary,

Not sure how many there are, my mammals book gives 12, but there's been at least 2 species splits since then, so at least 14. But there's a lot fewer in northern Britain, only 6 or 7 up here in Northumbs.

The largest up here is Noctule, the smallest Pipistrelle; those two are also the two you're most likely to see.

Pipistrelles are tiny, roughly Blue Tit size or smaller (but with longer wings), and are the commonest bat of all in most parts of Britain.

Noctules are about the size of a Swift, and often fly with them, high over lakes at dusk.

Another reasonably frequent bat is Daubenton's Bat, they almost invariably skim low over water, picking floating insects off the surface.

Michael

The Bat Conservation Trust website has all the information you are looking for - http://www.bats.org.uk/

Look under "Bat Information", "British Bats". 17 species are listed, including the Greater Mouse-Eared which is listed as extinct in Britain, but is now known not to be.

Steve

The present Species count in England is 17.....The mouse eared bat has a tenuous hold in Sussex with only one male recorded recently. I am afriad in the north west you will not come across greater horseshoe's as they are limited to the Isle of wight, south Wales and south west England. You should have a local bat group who could help you out, if you phone your county Wildlife Trust they are sure to have contact details.

Regards Roger Granby

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back