• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pacaya Samiria Reserve (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to do my homework prior to spending two weeks in the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve in the last half of July as part of an Operation Wallacea programme. Does anyone know where, or if, I can access a specific bird list for the reserve?

Also, the trip inevitably starts and finishes in Iquitos. I won't have any transport, or time to travel very far (so the white sand forest is out, for example) so can anyone recommend any 'birding hotspots' in Iquitos itself, e.e parks and so on?

Any and all advice gratefully received!

:eat:

Well ... I've now managed to construct a working checklist of sorts for Pacaya Samiria. Andrew Farnsworth of eBird extracted a department list for Loreto for me, and I've combined this with information provided by Pacaya Samiria Amazon Lodge. Taken together these provide a list of possible species for the area as a whole, to which I'm adding status information from the Birds of Peru field guide. All useful stuff against which to assess my field identifications.

The second half of my original post still stands though - does anyone have any birding info for the immediate area of Iquitos for someone birding entirely on foot?

The second half of my original post still stands though - does anyone have any birding info for the immediate area of Iquitos for someone birding entirely on foot?

Actually, the white sand forest of Allpahuayo-Mishana reserve is only 25k outside of town- and thus very accessible. You can take a moto taxi to get their very cheaply or arrange with a regular taxi.

Closer by, the Quistacocha Zoo has marginal area with good moriche swamps for things like Point-tailed Palmcreeper (with tape) or crakes. There used to be a boardwalk. Don't know how the state of it is now though.

Also, sometimes productive is birding at the Malecon with for instance Bay Hornero

Gunnar

Hi Gunnar

I'm actually taking 49 girls (age 17-18) with me for biological fieldwork in Pacaya-Samiria (!!) so I can't really zoom off and leave them in Iquitos. There's time on Saturday July 16th to take them to the zoo though, so that's what we might do. The next morning we transport them down to Nauta to board the survey vessels, and then off upriver to the reserve for two weeks. I must be mad...

Hi Gunnar

I'm actually taking 49 girls (age 17-18) with me for biological fieldwork in Pacaya-Samiria (!!) so I can't really zoom off and leave them in Iquitos. There's time on Saturday July 16th to take them to the zoo though, so that's what we might do. The next morning we transport them down to Nauta to board the survey vessels, and then off upriver to the reserve for two weeks. I must be mad...

Either you are or you may end up becoming 8-P

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back