• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cirl Buntings near Exminster (1 Viewer)

marek_walford

Hi there,

A couple of years ago a mate and I went to Bowling Green Marsh to twitch the Ibis. While I was there a guy in the hide drove us to a Cirl Bunting site not very far away. I remember it being a grassy field with a hedge right next to a road. It was apparently Devon's only reliable site for Woodlark (which we saw) and a good site for Cirl Bunting (which we didn't see). I'm going on the pelagic this weekend and would like to have another go. Can anybody give me directions to this site?

Many thanks.

Hi i`ve PM`ed you - the Woodlarks are really winter birds and the Cirls are quite difficult to see at the moment...but with perserverance we connected with a female and a juvenile last week

There is even a supposed site for cirls in exeter itself - although i gather its a very hit or miss site for seeing them. The best place for cirls i know is down around Prawle Point, the very southern most tip of the South Hams.
James

Whilst reasonably well known - as a breeding site for such a rare bird (and probably the most easterly site in the UK) should such accurate details be left on an open forum?
Probably best for the mods to remove?

Jasonbirder said:
Whilst reasonably well known - as a breeding site for such a rare bird (and probably the most easterly site in the UK) should such accurate details be left on an open forum?
Probably best for the mods to remove?

Thanks,Jason...has been done,with apologies to the Poster,on the basis of safety first.
Anyone wanting the details can no doubt get them by PM.

Im visiting south devon in a couple of weeks with the family,staying near dawlish..really would like to catch up with cirl bunting a species I havent yet seen in the uk..dont really fancy the "trawl to prawle" though, how reliable are they at the exminster site,and has anybody got directions,probably be visiting Dawlish warren most mornings,its just across the road from were ill be staying,might be a good time of year for something good to turn up,heres hoping!! thanks, andy

Jasonbirder said:
...we connected with a female and a juvenile last week
Hey, c-o-o-l man! Was that a kind of transcendental connection, Jason...

...or did you just see them?

(-;

Im also going on the pelagic this weekend and one of our party needs cirl bunting for a lifer so can anyone PM me with a site for us to visit on saturday

thanks

And you're still up there, that was some trip.

I have to say, though, that a less spiritual place than those bungalows in Exminster where the cirl buntings have chosen to live, I could not imagine.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back