• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dubious claim (1 Viewer)

Dawsy

If anyone can work out what this is it will aid my dubious claim that this terrible picture is, at least, identifiable.

Michael

Attachments

• Bird 1.jpg
    Bird 1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 209
Fifebirder said:
It's definitely a Robin. Well maybe. A passerine I would say at least.
We're getting closer it is a passerine but not a robin and, as you can tell, not quite so cooperative when it comes to posing as a robin.

Jos Stratford said:
Narrowing it to a passerine is getting closer? Good to see you not setting your standards too high :)
Well technically "passerine" has narrowed down the previous guess of "bird" and no I'm not setting my standards too high I doubt I'd get closer than passerine if I didn't already know what it was. With so many good pictures of difficult to identify birds on here I thought it might be fun to see how people did with a terrible view of a, relatively, easy bird which I find a much more common problem.

I agree with you, it is fun to post views of common birds photo-ed in less than perfect pose (!) ...don't let my comments put you off, I had a good gander at it before posting. Note messages came with a :)

PS I give up on the bird, my thoughts also went along the line of Robin or perhars one of its allies...

alan_rymer said:
Reed Warbler?. Are those Phragmites?.
I wondered when someone would spot the vegetation. Reed warbler was the next shot on the film and at least a little better.

Jos Stratford said:
Not a Cetti's Warbler?
As I thought. If you ignore the fact that it looks like a robin, spot that it's in reeds and someone tells you it's not a reed warbler it's obviously a Cetti's warbler.
It was singing at the time which is the only reason I'm sure but it still counts as about the most out-in-the-open I've ever seen one.

Cetti's Warbler has never been recorded in this country, so I'd be most happy to have one however out-in-the-open it might choose to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back