• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

recommended Bangkok Camera Dealer (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
Just a week to go before my flight to Hong Kong and my camera ( Canon Eos 7d ) decides to develop a fault meaning it has to go in for repair :-C
With this in mind I am looking into the options of buying another either in Hong Kong or maybe Bangkok ( next destination).
I am therefore looking for a recommended Canon dealer preferably in Hong Kong or Bangkok which may have the following models in stock -

Canon Eos 5D mk2
Canon Eos 1D mk 4
Canon Eos ID S Mk 3

Although I would obviously like to purchase at the cheapest price available the priority is to find a bona fide dealer that I can have confidence in and is selling genuine equipment.
This will hopefully include a warranty that is endorsed and backed by Canon(UK) on my return back to England.

Any recommendations on such a dealer gratefully received and details of prices and contact details / website etc would be most useful.

Many thanks.

Fotofile at MBK is the best place in Bangkok. The shop on the third floor probably have all models in stock. The small shop on the first floor also sells second hand stuff. I recently trade my old Nikon D200 to a D7000. I got a very good deal there. Probably the gaurantee covers only Asia!

MBK is best place for cameras

The other posters are correct but there are a number of camera shops in MBK. The first floor (ground floor) has FotoFile, which is next to Baskin Robbins, but if you go to the 3rd floor, there is Foto Thailand, Big Pro camera and a number of other camera shops.

Canon has a dedicated shop on the 5th floor and so finding what you want in MBK is highly likely.

Prices, however, leave a lot to be desired. The prices can (in 2011) be more expensive than if you were to buy at home, or, at the very least, the same price.

Make sure you ask about the warranty and make sure it's international.

More information about buying a digital camera in Bangkok can be found here

Many camera bodies I can buy to the same price in Finland(Scandinavia) especially when they are introduced to the market. The D7000 was a lot cheaper in BKK now because Nikon is supposed to release new models soon. Usually the lenses are cheaper here.
But since the Euro dropped there is not much different in the prices any more.(at least for me coming from a Euro land!)

Something else worth keeping i mind is you should be able to get a VAT refund on leaving Thailand; that should amount to 7% of the purchase price. You need to enquire from your retailer about VAT refund for tourists and make sure you get the paperwork.

Oh I should add the Canon place's prices on the Fifth floor at MBK can usually be knocked down a bit and you should have no hesitation in trying to do so!

Portnoy is correct about the VAT (7%) - importantly you need to TAKE YOUR PASSPORT with you when buying the Camera so the retailer can complete the VAT forms.

As others have said, MBK (it is a big shopping mall next to "National Stadium" skytrain station) is the place to be.

I would check out the Pantip Mall on Petchaburi road as it is loaded with camera stores as well. It's also a good place to sell old camera bodies as a few of the stores will consider it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back