• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Tripler Info? (1 Viewer)

Steinadler

Hi All,

I'm a first time poster and I have learned a great deal from this forum.

I have Zeiss 7x42 bgat nocs and am considering buying the Tripler for the occasional times when I need extra magnification.

Can anyone recommend the Tripler? It is awful expensive and I have the feeling that the picture at 21x magnification will not be that great.

What is the image like at that magnification?

Any other comments from informed posters are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Brent

Hello Brent and welcome to Birdforum from the Moderators and Staff.

Although I have a pair of Zeiss bins,I haven't heard of the Tripler,but hopefully someone who has will respond before long.

I tried the tripler in a shop with some Victory 2s. It's a simple push on job with the adaptor provided. Didn't really impress. Good eye relief but mediocre optically with too much power. A doubler would be more useful and practical IMHO but Zeiss do not make one. A lightweight scope that could be used with a monopod would be a better alternative.

Brent.

For your 7x42 BGA bins you can use the 3x12 mono with the adapter, screwed onto the binocular (removing the eyecup) or simply pushed into the eyecup with no adapter (but not as stable as option 1).

The image is obviously magnified to a 21x, and your exit pupil will be 2mm. There are a number of adapters availble for the various Zeiss models (8x30 & 10x40 BGA) (7x42 & 8x56 Classic) (8x, 10x, 12x56 Victory) (8x,10x40 Victory)(new FL models) make sure you get the right adapter.

It would be cheaper to buy a small 20x50 or 20x60 scope and you might get better optical performance given that the doubler introduces a second set of erecting prisms and hence the binocular + doubler has significantly more optical elements. (Do test rather than take my word on this.) The small Kowa 20x50 scope seemed to my eyes to give a useable image. Of course the binocular + doubler would be more convenient than binocular + scope. Then again, it is easier to share binocular + scope with someone else.

However I do remember using a small 20x scope to view a candidate Sparrowhawk at Barnes and what struck me was that the detail seen was barely more than I could see using my Swarovski 8.5x42! The chest bars were slightly better resolved through the scope.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try it out before I make any decision on a purchase.

I think it's best to go birding with a friend who has a nice scope!!:)

Regards,
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back