• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Support for scope (1 Viewer)

MickeyJay

I'm rapidly discovering that all you folks that are into digiscoping are very creative. When you can't buy something to improve your picture taking you improvise. Several days ago I remember seeing a support that someone made to give the scope more support while on the tripod. But as is usually the case I can not find it. I currently have three tripods but they weren't made to hold large scopes and I'm a bit short on $$$ to get a new one. I'm hoping that some one has made a support rig and wouldn't mind sharing his/her invention.

Mickey in Maryland

Mickey,
If you mean a Balance Bar to move the center of gravity of the scope/camera combination further forward , I bought my first one in my local hardware store in the bracket section. It was a flat piece of metal (about 1.5in x 12in )with holes already drilled in it. I bought the bolts and wingnuts there too.
Neil

Balance Bar

Neil said:
Mickey,
If you mean a Balance Bar to move the center of gravity of the scope/camera combination further forward , I bought my first one in my local hardware store in the bracket section. It was a flat piece of metal (about 1.5in x 12in )with holes already drilled in it. I bought the bolts and wingnuts there too.
Neil

Thanks Neil, that sounds like a good idea.
Help me out here, did you attach the bar to the tripod? If so, how did you get the scope to stay on the bar?

You know I write these questions down and they look so dumb, but my visualation capabilities is not the sharpest in the world - so I have a hard time seeing it in my mind's eye.

Mickey

MickeyJay said:
Several days ago I remember seeing a support that someone made to give the scope more support while on the tripod.

You ought to find this old message you mention so we can figure out what you want. A balance bar does not give your scope "more support." It merely balances it. The only things I've heard that can give your scope more "support" are a heavier tripod, a bag of rocks hung on the tripod, a heavier head, or a bungie cord pulling on the scope.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back