• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rain Guards! (1 Viewer)

amh2029

Hi all,

I have just bought a pair of Nikon 10x42s and they are the first pair of bins I have had that come with a rain guard. I was quite excited by this but now that they are attached - what a pain!! Every time I go to look at some interesting little fella lurking in the bushes I get a mouthfull of plastic, or a nip in the chin or a scrape on the cheek. HOW are these things supposed to work? Are you a rainguard 'on' or a rainguard 'off' kinda birder?

Andrew

The plastic in the face thing is a pain, as is the "I can't see anything, oops the guard is still on" moment. But bear with it - rainguards are very useful.

As well as protecting your fab new bins from rain, you'll also find they work for soft drinks, pasty / sandwich crumbs and inadvertant thumbs.

Yeah, know that one!
I've found that it helps if you make sure that the 'thin' bits of the strap (I'm assuming you got a wide, 'camera' type strap with the bins?) are long enough to allow you to move the rainguard far enough up them to miss your chin when you're using the bins ;) Try positioning the plastic adjustment clip thingies (what are they called?) as close to the wide part as possible.

Persevere with them though, as mine have stopped all sorts of rubbish getting on the eyepieces ;)

I suppose it does depend what you have connecting the bins to the strap. I don't have too much trouble with my rainguard, but Keith has abandoned his altogether. He carries it in his pocket and puts it on if it starts raining.

I'm not keen on my rainguards but I persevere because they can be very useful. My wife carries her rainguards in her pocket in case they are needed.

hornet said:
But bear with it - rainguards are very useful.

As well as protecting your fab new bins from rain, you'll also find they work for soft drinks, pasty / sandwich crumbs and inadvertant thumbs.
I agree. We call them jamguards - for a reason...
But seriously, IMO Nikon didn't succeed very well with the rainguards of the SEs.

Ilkka

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hi Andrew,

Rainguards are usually best connected to just one strap.

Andy.
Except on my Nikons, the attachment is such that it just springs back to it's original position if you try to move it out the way ;)

I like the like Leica rainguard. As mentioned above I have it attached to one strap between the buckle and binocular mount so that when not over the lenses it simply flicks out of the way by itself for viewing.

Attachments

• DSCN2270ao.jpg
    DSCN2270ao.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 217
IanF said:
I like the like Leica rainguard. As mentioned above I have it attached to one strap between the buckle and binocular mount so that when not over the lenses it simply flicks out of the way by itself for viewing.

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!! Why don't I turn mine round so it springs out of the way???????

I feel a bit thick now :-C

iporali said:
I agree. We call them jamguards - for a reason...
But seriously, IMO Nikon didn't succeed very well with the rainguards of the SEs.

Ilkka
Ikkla,

Quite right. Buy some other brand of rain guard for the SE.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

I don't know....I have the Eagle Optics Ranger. Most bins in the middle to upper price range are water proof, so I didn't see the point. I think I tossed mine a long time ago...

Mike

Hi Andrew,
Echo the other Andrew re hooking on one strap, but fit so it hangs to one side, away from bins, it isn't noticeable there in use. When you put it on eyecups, slight twist in the strap holds it there, but it flicks off easily when you want.
Works with SE rainguard at least, unless you're a purist....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back