• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watching migration in London (1 Viewer)

Deb London

Can anyone recommend a good location for watching migration in London, preferably north of the river?

I'm quite new to birding and am confused at this point. On the one hand I am led to believe that I can see and hear migrants anywhere. Then, on the other, I go out with a group and am shown specific areas where everyone stands in one spot, or even an embankment that birds pass along during migration. Is it simply the case that the spots where people stand are chosen for their views, but people go back again and again because of the crowd that gathers there? More people to chat to; more eyes to watch with? Or is there something special about these locations? And is it true that migrants travel along certain "large hedges"? If so, how does one chose a hedge to watch?

I have looked for literature on the subject, but I drew a blank. Does anyone know of any books I can read to understand migration over the capital more thoroughly?

Thanks. :gh:

Hi Deb,

Parliament hill (Hampstead Heath) early morning can be good, Alexandra park also has its moments and Primrose Hill and Regents Park are well watched and produce mini-falls of migrants.

A great book for understanding migration is Bird Migration by Ian Newton. A bit pricey but worth it.

My own view is that although some places do seem to produce good migrant numbers compared to others for obvious reasons (i.e well watched hills, with hedges, trees and grassland such as Parliament Hill) it is still worthwhile plugging away at an underwatched site local to you as you will build up a year round picture and have the pleasure of the odd self found scarcity. Firecrests for example turn up all over London at this time of year.

Thank you Paul,

I would love to find a Firecrest at a local site. Better than this would be a Short-eared Owl or a Merlin (both of which have been spotted this week in/around London). I live in hope.

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Deb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back