• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting news (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

The content below is a response I was given from Leupold in a desperate quest to find a set of 10x42mm GR binos.....looks like they are going to be reintroduced.

We don't have any here. And we can't sell direct anyway.

I checked with our Sales Department and they are not aware of anyone who has them in stock.
I did a Goggle search and they are all coming up "out of stock".

We will be eventually re-introducing the Gold Rings at a later date. I don't believe it's next year though.

Regards
Sharon Stephen

Interesting... I wonder what they will be like. I assume there will be a few changes but hopefully they will still be assembled in the USA.

I also really wanted a 10x42 HD last year, but held off of buying it. When I looked this spring, they were mostly gone -I was too late... Everywhere I checked that listed as in stock actually was out of stock.

It's a nice bin & despite it's weight, in the hand feels very nice and balanced. Great accessories too.
I know, I finally have the 10X HD sitting right here with me, we'll see what it's fate is. :eat:
As yes, the pupil lock is workable. It has play in it in most positions, but only will move up a few mm, not down so it won't collapse if held 1 handed.

Last edited:
I came across a new pair of 8x32 HD Gold Ring today at a large outdoors store. Bought them. Have not had a chance to really use them yet, but did have a chance to do a quick comparison with my Nikon 8x32 SE on a small group of sand hill cranes at about 50 yards. So far, i am impressed.
Also, came with both a good strap and a harness. Have replaced the rain guard with one of my spare Zeiss Dialyt/Classics ones.
I am surprised at the close focus. For me it is about 2/3 of a meter, i think the listed distance is one meter.
Anyway, they are not as "sharp" as my SE pair. But then, what is? They are close though. They also have a rather shallow depth of field.
I have read about how some folks do not like their weight. They certainly are heavy for an 8x32. But I like the feel and the impression of solidity. The eye pieces seem to be (the diameter of the eye lense) large. Actually a very "comfortable" view (i wear glasses).
I hope to give them some use tomorrow.

I bought an 8X42 GR HD last December from Cabela's for $600, then got a rebate for another $100. I'm amazed at the clarity of it every time I look through it. It's too bad they discontinued this bino. When I called Leupold last week to inquire as to why they discontinued it, I was told that the price point at what they originally sold, around $1300, was probably too high, as they just did not sell well. I certainly got a steal at $500.

I bought an 8X42 GR HD last December from Cabela's for $600, then got a rebate for another $100. I'm amazed at the clarity of it every time I look through it. It's too bad they discontinued this bino. When I called Leupold last week to inquire as to why they discontinued it, I was told that the price point at what they originally sold, around $1300, was probably too high, as they just did not sell well. I certainly got a steal at $500.

That was my initial impression of the 10x42mm GR; they weren't cheap "alpha" binos, they were overpriced mid-range binos. YMMV.

Indeed.
My 8x32 prompted me to search for the 10x42 version, to no avail :-C

They are for me, optically, right behind my 8x32 SE (with my Alphas).

If you are still looking, I might need to sell my mint 10x42HD since I need to spend more on furniture - you know how it is... We'll see!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back