• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ziess Protective Cover For Diascope 85 T* FL?? (1 Viewer)

Milo

Ziess Protective Cover For ANGLED Diascope 85 T* FL??

Thanks in part to some great advice from members of BirdForum, I have decided to purchase the Diascope 85 T* FL angled view model as my first birding scope. I of course want to protect it with a jacket, but thought I saw some complaints about this in my browsing a while back. I recall comments like it did not fit snugly and the holes did not align properly. The Ziess brand protective jacket for the straight view model seems really expensive at around US$150 and it would be a lot of money to spend on top of the major purchase of the scope for something "defective."

For those of you with the ANGLED model scope, did you get the jacket and what is your opinion of it. If it is really bad, are there any other alternatives? Thanks in advance for your postings.

Milo

PS: Originally I posted I was getting the straight view model but changed my mind.

Last edited:
Milo said:
Thanks in part to some great advice from members of BirdForum, I have decided to purchase the Diascope 85 T* FL angled view model as my first birding scope. I of course want to protect it with a jacket, but thought I saw some complaints about this in my browsing a while back. I recall comments like it did not fit snugly and the holes did not align properly. The Ziess brand protective jacket for the straight view model seems really expensive at around US$150 and it would be a lot of money to spend on top of the major purchase of the scope for something "defective."

For those of you with the ANGLED model scope, did you get the jacket and what is your opinion of it. If it is really bad, are there any other alternatives? Thanks in advance for your postings.

Milo

PS: Originally I posted I was getting the straight view model but changed my mind.

Hi Milo,

I have the original Zeiss jacket - my second (warranty) one because the zipper of the back end of the first one was damaged. The jacket definetly isn´t worth the money. I think it´s only a question of time when the zipper will make problems again. Other disadvantages of the jacket are: it makes some trouble if you want to move the zoom wheel and the backcap isn´t fixable so that under windy circumstances the cap is jingling around and make some noise with the metal zipper at the tripod when it´s mounted. It don´t let you use the knob of axis twisting.

I´ve heard that other people aren´t happy with their jackets of Leica and Swarovski too. So if you can get a no name protective jacket I would try this. Another good solution is to get just the transport bag of Zeiss. This let you carry the scope with its strap and protect the scope on transports. Mounted on a tripod no scope really need a protective jacket IMO. This jackets are constraining always the use of the scope a little bit.

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
hinnark said:
Hi Milo,

I have the original Zeiss jacket - my second (warranty) one because the zipper of the back end of the first one was damaged. The jacket definetly isn´t worth the money. I think it´s only a question of time when the zipper will make problems again. Other disadvantages of the jacket are: it makes some trouble if you want to move the zoom wheel and the backcap isn´t fixable so that under windy circumstances the cap is jingling around and make some noise with the metal zipper at the tripod when it´s mounted. It don´t let you use the knob of axis twisting.

I´ve heard that other people aren´t happy with their jackets of Leica and Swarovski too. So if you can get a no name protective jacket I would try this. Another good solution is to get just the transport bag of Zeiss. This let you carry the scope with its strap and protect the scope on transports. Mounted on a tripod no scope really need a protective jacket IMO. This jackets are constraining always the use of the scope a little bit.

Regards

Steve

Thank you very much for your response, Steve. This is what I thought all along and now will NOT buy the case. It did seem silly to want to protect the scope while it was on the tripod being used, though it might prevent a scuff or two while moving about with it in the woods. However, a good padded transportation bag like the one you suggest makes more sense to me. Thank you.

Milo

I think if you email Zeiss in the UK, they might have news of a Skua case being made available sometime soon - and they seem to know of a second supplier elsewhere in the UK. I like the look of the Zeiss case, though, myself!

scampo said:
I think if you email Zeiss in the UK, they might have news of a Skua case being made available sometime soon

I think Skua quoted me a price on a Zeiss case, but I decided to wait and might consider constructing something myself. I don't travel much and don't need anything pretty.

Re: Scope cover

Milo said:

Milo

Milo,

Check out Creedmore Sports in Seattle, WA. I purchased a scope cover for my Zeiss 85 T*FL and think its great. It was the jacket described for the Swarovski 85, is brown, and padded. A zippered cap is in front w/ velcro to
hold it back when the scope is in use. A zipper is also in the back covering the eyepieces - I peel it back far enough to expose the eyepieces and focusing wheels. Nice thing about the brown cordura cover is that it does not advertise the Zeiss logo and your expensive scope, and is more camouflaged for the outdoors. I've even gone a step further and wrapped my scope w/ thin foam padding before putting the jacket on for added protection (I've dropped the scope twice off my old tripod w/o damage).
Price: $39.00.
If you're looking for tripod/head I've been using a Bogen 3020 tripod w/ the Manfrotto 128C video head - wonderful.

Good birding! You'll love the scope.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry

jourdaj said:
Milo,

Check out Creedmore Sports in Seattle, WA. I purchased a scope cover for my Zeiss 85 T*FL and think its great. It was the jacket described for the Swarovski 85, is brown, and padded. A zippered cap is in front w/ velcro to
hold it back when the scope is in use. A zipper is also in the back covering the eyepieces - I peel it back far enough to expose the eyepieces and focusing wheels. Nice thing about the brown cordura cover is that it does not advertise the Zeiss logo and your expensive scope, and is more camouflaged for the outdoors. I've even gone a step further and wrapped my scope w/ thin foam padding before putting the jacket on for added protection (I've dropped the scope twice off my old tripod w/o damage).
Price: $39.00.
If you're looking for tripod/head I've been using a Bogen 3020 tripod w/ the Manfrotto 128C video head - wonderful.

Good birding! You'll love the scope.

Jerry

Thanks for this advice Jerry, I will look into the case you recommend. As to the tripod, I did a bit of research and wanted one that was pretty sturdy even if it weighed a bit more. I ended up ordering the Bogen/Manfrotto 3178GN Tracker Tripod which comes bundled with the 3130G Micro Fluid head. I ordered it and my scope in Zeiss' new green color from Eagle Optics which seemed to have a better selection than B&H Photo where I normally order. Hope this was a good choice. The scope, 20/60 zoom eyepiece and tripod should arrive early next week. Can't wait!

Milo

PS.: Great photo of your cat! I have two Burmese.

Last edited:
jourdaj said:
Check out Creedmore Sports in Seattle, WA. I purchased a scope cover for my Zeiss 85 T*FL and think its great. It was the jacket described for the Swarovski 85, is brown, and padded. [...] Price: $39.00.

That sounds like an excellent (and reasonable) price. I think I even found their mailorder webpage...

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/Scopes_Extras.htm

Now which size (they offer several) is the optimum for the 85 ? Also would such a cover interfere with my ability to rotate the scope?

Last edited:
I tried the zeiss cover and detested it. My findings are well documented elsewhere. I have been told that Zeiss are redesigning it and a better cover will be released soon.

However I was given an opticron cover. This is a black waterproof nylon cover and fits fine. It is a little tight but no bad thing for that. Otherwise it fits well. Only drawback is that it has opticron emblazened on it side.

I suppose idealy it would be best to go with no cover at all. The scope is waterproof and reasonably knock proof. However I think a pristine scope is more sellable at a future date than one which has been scratched and lived in so to speak..............

Sorry to "hijack", but would I be right to suspect that the Zeiss case for the 65mm scope is equally grim?

And - if so - has anyone found a case that'll do the job better?

I can't believe that something like (say) a Skua Opticron HR66 or Kowa 600 series case won't fit, but I am in no position to test a selection of cases out..

Any thoughts?

FYI, on Creedmore Scope Case. I checked their on-line catalog and did not find a scope case listed for the Swarovski ATS80. Called them, they have a pattern and will make the case. Same price as the ones listed on line. Just takes a few days longer.

I'm not sure that the scope focusing ring will work on the Swarovski with the case on the scope. That is O.K. Need the case primarily for protection when traveling.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back