• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN 4 with 30 fixed- Need Zoom? (1 Viewer)

DHB

A friend is looking at a used TSN 4 with a fixed 30 eyepiece. Are there any zooms out there or are they getting hard to find? Is $475 usd a decent price for a mint condition with view through case?
Thanks again
Dave

The zoom had a poor reputation both for its narrow field of view, and its poor construction quality. The new Kowa zoom, sadly, does not fit the TSN4. That said, the scope with the 30xW is still outstanding - is your friend sure he or she needs a zoom eyepiece? They rarely offer that much more than a good wide angle eyepiece in practical usage.

Dave i had the TSN3(angled version of the 4) for several years,sold it to Scampo. I started with the zoom eyepiece then part exchanged it for the 30 wide ,this was far superior than the zoom.I still consider this to be one of the best 2nd hand scopes you can buy.Prices in Britain are far more expensive than America, over here in would go for between $600-$650 so looks a very good price.Tell your friend to go for it.

Zoom for TSN 3/4

I have a zoom for the TSN3/4 as well as the 30x. The zoom is awful, really awful! The 30x is a dream.

kbird said:
I have a zoom for the TSN3/4 as well as the 30x. The zoom is awful, really awful! The 30x is a dream.

I agree. I got rid of the zoom last year and replaced it with a x30W. The 'scope has been transformed and compares favourably with more modern 'scopes.

I had both 30x & 20-60x for the TSN4 and the 30x puts the zoom in the shade... though there were a couple of versions of the zoom, the latter one was an improvement. The TSN3/4 are excellent scopes and great value, I have plenty of digiscoped photos taken with the TSN4 and many almost match the results from the top European scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back