• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stubbers Green (1 Viewer)

Phil Owen

I am passing the Midlands soon so quite fancy dropping in at Stubbers Green for Caspian Gull.

Any info on directions where to park/best days etc would be much appreciated.

Are the Caspo's seen daily here and what time of the day is best?

Cheers :t:

I am passing the Midlands soon so quite fancy dropping in at Stubbers Green for Caspian Gull.

Phil,

Stubbers Green (SK038019) is along Stubbers Green Road from Shelfield to Aldridge. If travelling along A461 Lichfield Road out of or towards Walsall, turn east at Shelfield onto Spring Road, over roundabout and into Stubbers Green Road and park in layby on right. There are several viewing points over the main pool from here - there is no access to the other sides, though you could view from Brook Meadow Road (right at the roundabout), though there is a risk of flushing the gulls so people tend not to.

Gulls bathe and rest at northwestern end, though Caspian Gull often gets by furthest blue barrel at other end towards sailing club and is most often seen around lunchtime and early afternoon, but is probably present at other times. Gulls feed at tip just to the north and usually roost at Chasewater.

Kevin

Hi Phil,
Stubbers Green is a small pool with a quiet grass area at the back viewable from the roadside and parking pull off the road. Gulls from the many local domestic landfills (clay holes being filled in) loaf here and wash in the pool.
I would recommend visiting the website Chasewater.org.uk and look at the Daily wildlife Dairy of which November is showing. This Dairy giving sightings of Caspain Gull and other Gulls at Stubber's Green and the majority roost at Chasewater.
I would recommend visiting Stubber's Green in the afternoon then visiting Chasewater for the gull roost later, here you will find regular experienced gull watches, viewing on the West side, there has also been 2 Azorean Yellow-legged Gull type seen here recently.
Which direction would you be travelling from Phil.

Hi Phil,
Stubbers Green is a small pool with a quiet grass area at the back viewable from the roadside and parking pull off the road. Gulls from the many local domestic landfills (clay holes being filled in) loaf here and wash in the pool.
I would recommend visiting the website Chasewater.org.uk and look at the Daily wildlife Dairy of which November is showing. This Dairy giving sightings of Caspain Gull and other Gulls at Stubber's Green and the majority roost at Chasewater.
I would recommend visiting Stubber's Green in the afternoon then visiting Chasewater for the gull roost later, here you will find regular experienced gull watches, viewing on the West side, there has also been 2 Azorean Yellow-legged Gull type seen here recently.
Which direction would you be travelling from Phil.

Travelling down South from Manchester so makes sense to stop off here.

Cheers

Phil

Adult Caspian Gull (different bird to the one there recently, which was not seen), adult Mediterranean Gull and one Goosander. No sign of sub-adult Azorean-type Yellow-legged Gull today.

Thanks for replies, directions spot on etc and managed to see an Adult Caspian Gull today which was showing well at around Noon.

No sign of the Azorean YL Gull still.

Good bit of footy banter with a couple of WBA fans too!

Do they sail on here on a weekend and if so does it disturb the gulls, as we are planning on visiting on Sunday ?

Regards

Steve

If its a Sunday they usually start sailing at 12ish. The water is too shallow to go very close to the birds so probably not.
Cheers

Didn't manage to get there last Sunday but went at lunchtime today, it was on the sailing club pool at 12:15

Steve

I notice that the Caspian Gull hasn't been reported on any of the news services for the last few days. Does anyone have any negative news, or is it simply that no-one has bothered to record it? I was thinking of making a trip on Sunday, but I won't bother if it has been looked for in vain...

Caspain Gull

I notice that the Caspian Gull hasn't been reported on any of the news services for the last few days. Does anyone have any negative news, or is it simply that no-one has bothered to record it? I was thinking of making a trip on Sunday, but I won't bother if it has been looked for in vain...

Hi,
Some people don't report because it's a difficult bird to identify, Caspain Gulls can turn up here at anytime, there are a number of tips in the area to bring gulls in.

Regards, John

Saw the iceland and caspian, very grateful for some experienced gull birders already there for id with the latter though!

Visited today for about 30 mins before the snow hit.
The Iceland has just flown out before we got there and heard the Caspian hadnt been seen all day, Not many gulls on the frozen pool, A few Common and GBBG amongst the usuals
MB

Visited today for about 30 mins before the snow hit.
The Iceland has just flown out before we got there and heard the Caspian hadnt been seen all day, Not many gulls on the frozen pool, A few Common and GBBG amongst the usuals
MB

Seems all the Midlands gull action has switched to Priorslee in the last 48 hours.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back