• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woo Hoo! I've got birds! (1 Viewer)

Bruce B

Birdaholic
I put my feeder out over a week ago and all that time I had no action. Today they are suddenly all over the place. It started with sparrows, then a mourning dove came along, then a female cardinal. There is a lot of seed on the ground (mainly from a spilling incident I had) and most of them are feeding on the ground but some have tried the feeder. As a bonus, we finally started getting a humming bird hanging around too. I've been regularly refilling our feeder and one finally showed up yesterday. I got another hummer feeder today for another location. Anyway, I know it's no big deal but I'm very excited to finally have some birds visiting my yard. I've been watching them in trees that are down the road from me but I can see them so much better when they are this close.

:bounce:

Bruce

Terrific, Bruce! Way to go! We had faith they'd show up eventually. When you get a couple hundred feathered friends piling into your yard, the axiom "be careful what you wish for" will immediately come to mind! ;)

It's so exciting to get birds into your yard for the first time. You're now going to find out just how much you don't get done elsewhere 'cause you won't be able to stop watching 'em! Look forward to hearing who shows up!

Wonderful - and it is a big deal. This year we had a brambling and a redpoll in our garden for the first time ever, and we were very excited, even more than when we saw 72 siskins! We had never seen more than 2 or 3 siskins, until I installed a niger feeder.

Bruce B said:
I put my feeder out over a week ago and all that time I had no action. Today they are suddenly all over the place. It started with sparrows, then a mourning dove came along, then a female cardinal. There is a lot of seed on the ground (mainly from a spilling incident I had) and most of them are feeding on the ground but some have tried the feeder. As a bonus, we finally started getting a humming bird hanging around too. I've been regularly refilling our feeder and one finally showed up yesterday. I got another hummer feeder today for another location. Anyway, I know it's no big deal but I'm very excited to finally have some birds visiting my yard. I've been watching them in trees that are down the road from me but I can see them so much better when they are this close.

:bounce:

Bruce

If you haven't already, you can't believe how many more birds you can attract, by installing a water feature. The water should move at least a little. Even a milk carton filled with water and a pin hole in it, hung above a bird bath works well. Enjoy!!!

Mike

Mike couldn't be more right. When I built a small, rock-lined pond (3' x 5') for bathing and drinking, it attracted all the non-seed eaters: flycatchers, warblers, bluebirds, vireos, robins, waxwings, etc., etc. Even a hummingbird or two (maybe the same one at different times?) have been seen to lie flat on the big rock under the drip, wings spread flat, I guess taking a bath. Or licking off tiny insects on the rock itself? Haven't a clue, but it sure floored me the first time I saw it.

And as counter-intuitive as it sounds, in winter water is even more important to birds, although where you are in Louisiana you probably don't have to worry about snow and ice making water scarce, or about an almost complete absence of insects! ;)

I have a smallish hanging bird bath right now but I'm planning to get a larger one soon. I briefly considered a small pond but I decided the area is not quite big enough for that and everything else I want to do. We are planning to convert that whole corner of the yard into a bird garden. Right now it's like invasion of the house sparrow. Every once in a while the female cardinal comes along and the sparrows disappear. She owns the feeder when she's around (for now anyway).

Bruce

Bruce B said:
I have a smallish hanging bird bath right now but I'm planning to get a larger one soon. I briefly considered a small pond but I decided the area is not quite big enough for that and everything else I want to do.
The important thing is having water available for them at all, so I know your birds appreciate it being there regardless of size. With you now offering them food, hey, the word'll get around the birdie community real fast that your yard is *theeee* place to be!

We are planning to convert that whole corner of the yard into a bird garden. Right now it's like invasion of the house sparrow. Every once in a while the female cardinal comes along and the sparrows disappear. She owns the feeder when she's around (for now anyway).
LOL! There's always somebody who thinks the community trough is *theirs*!

It sure seemed like it took forever though. I had a male cardinal at the feeder today. He was quite scruffy looking (molting I guess) but still nice to see.

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back