• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire birders! (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
Where are you?

Well I thought I would kick of this section since no one from my county has contributed here yet.

Not really sure what to write, but hopefully others will join and generate some discussion. Please ;) !

Hampshire certainly has loads of birds and birders due to a good variety of habitats.
Extensive areas such as the New Forest which contain several nationally rare breeding species, and a huge array of commoner and not so common species, plus excellent coastal hot spots like Keyhaven/Pennington in the SW and Farlington Marshes in the SE of the county.

Rarities can turn up anywhere and often do.

Currently in the county
Regular wintering Ring-billed Gull at Broadmarsh, (near Farlington) also 3 Twite nearby.
If you are interested in Digiscoped photos, some of my pictures of the, RB Gull are here:
http://www.digitalwildlife.co.uk/gallery/birds/rbgull.htm

And here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/cheesebunting/img/rbgA1.JPG

Several Great Grey Shrikes at various locations mostly in the New Forest.
To my knowledge only one Waxwing in the county so far and that seems to have gone.
And lots of other stuff I can't remember probably. Anyone care to add to this list?

There are between 300-400 people subscribed to Hoslist (Yahoo group, that complements the Website of the Hampshire Ornithological Society)
http://www.hants.gov.uk/hos/
So perhaps some of them will be tempted to post here, as I am sure a few are members of the Forum.

Chat soon! :t:

Regards

Rich
(NE Hampshire birder)

Hi Rich

Im a member of hoslist and post when I come across something of interest. I must say that I really enjoy your photos. Some other birds about at the moment well theres a few Hen Harriers about in the New Forest. A Marsh Harrier at Tichfield Haven. Purple Sands at Southsea Castle.

All the Best

Martin Gillingham

Redwing

I mustadmit that I don't bird Hampshire as much as I should do. I suppose my favourite site is Thursley. I love watching the Dartford Warblers there and have had excellent sightings of Common Crossbill and Hobby also. The collection of dragonflyes are also worth travelling for.

It is a nice site to walk around especially on a nice sunny summer day.

Keep us posted on what is around and if you can put some site info in the County by County indexes that would nelp any prospective visitors.

I have been to Farlington a few tiimes also but I must try and visit that area more often.

Hi All

Thursley is just in Surrey and only a few miles from me.
For those who are interested there is a GG Shrike showing there on and off as well.
I have just started getting into Dragonflies, there are few pictures on my site several of which were taken at Thursley, which I gather is one of the top sites for Odonata in the south of England.

I find Thursley one of those places you can go and see nothing at all one day, and have amazing views of fantastic species like Hobby the next, over the years its turned up a lot of good birds. I once had a Black necked Grebe on that tiny little moat pond!

Regards

Rich

When I was in Surrey, I used to bird Hampshire quite a lot (and the Isle of Wight), as it had easy access by train (LSWR). I used to have a regular Jan 1 trip to Langstone Harbour, with lunch at the Ship before braving the Oyster Beds.

Tony

Tichfield Haven

Hi Hampshire Birders

On the subject of Tichfield Haven it sounds good at present with Bittern and Harriers, Barn owl etc.
Never been there though, what's the deal, don't you need permits or something?

I think thats whats put me off going, and its farther than I usually have time to travel, I tend to be a bit of a local patcher really, though I will happily twitch things more locally (anyone know if the twite are still present?).

I've only been to Keyhaven/Pennington once, and that just for a look around in the summer, hence I am probably the only Hampshire birder who hasn't seen, Stilt Sandpiper, Great spotted Cuckoo and American Golden Plover. Though I do wish I had gone for the Cuckoo.

Rich

Rich

You have to pay around 3 quid to enter the reserve and get access to the hides. But you can see into the reserve from the road or you can walk up the canal path along the west side of the reserve. Ive had good views of Bittern, Marsh Harrier and Barn Owl all from the outside. You can also do a spot of sea watching from the sea front. BTW the Twite are still at Southmoors near Farlington along with a Barn Owl.

Regards
martin

Regards Martin

Thanks martin

I had heard there was a Barn owl in the area via hoslist, I still haven’t seen the twite, but I may get the chance this weekend.
Had excellent views of Barn Owl and Distant views of Short Eared at the site in the north of the county at Dusk on Sunday night.

I am sure I will get to Tichfield one day!

Cheers

Rich

T0ny,

I used to live in a flat in an Old rectory about 1/2 mile from the Langstone Harbour Reserve, I'd spend a lot of my freetime there with my hippy mates watching the birds, it wasn't a serious hobby then but it set me on the right track.

Used to go to the Ship Inn quite a bit too, me mum used to be cleaner there.

My favourite Birding site at present, is Fleet Pond, an excellent reserve for waterfowl, woodland birds, plants, and insects. Last week walking around with my Girlfriend and my youngest daughter we came across a deer in the udergrowth a mere 5 feet from the wooden walkway, he just stood there and stared at us until we moved on, he didn't appear at all worried with our presence. And before you wonder about the photograph, I had forgotten my camera that day!!!

Take care

Booga

Hi Booga

You may already know this, but there is one possibly two bittern wintering at fleet pond.

If you view from chestnut grove it is often possible to see it perched up in the reeds opposite, pre roosting there before dusk.

Its a bit distant but I had great scope view up until dusk on sunday night (9th feb)

I managed this record shot.

Rich

Attachments

• bittern.jpg
    bittern.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 391
I'm right on the border and bird the New Forest mainly, Fleet Pond is a regular haunt of mine during the late winter and early spring, also the Blackwater Valley (part Surrey part Hants). Happy to join the Hants chapter and perhaps a Hantsbash! Booga did you get the Farnborough Waxwings yesterday?

Look forward to meeting you all, I used to subscribe to Hantsbirds, to be honest, I thought it was one of the better local news groups.

Good birding

Paul

Hi Rich, I Chatted to a couple of birders last Saturday who said about the bittern, they were more interested in the cormorants though.
That's a well nice pic mate, as you probably have gathered I'm really into my fishers, herons etc. I'll check it out this weekend. I love the Black Kite debate on Hoslist, the knowledge acumulated is amazing.

Hi Paul, Oh Thanks for the offer of the lift to kentbash by the way, much appreciated and I'm in basingstoke but could easily get to camberley! I heard about the waxwings by the blackwater roundabout on hoslist from Rich and possibly you if you are that paul in his message. Due to the lack of transport couldn't make it though. I'm in danger right now of making an impulsive scope purchase rather than testing out a range of them! I've only checked out the Mighty Midget II and the IF 75/45 MT so far but am desperate for one, I just get so jealous when I hear about everything I miss.

Take care

Booga

Hi Booga

I currently have 2 scopes for sale:
1 Viking 60mm (RSPB) with stay on case and 27XWA lens £150
1 Kowa Ts-611 20X WA lens and stay on case (angled scope) £200
I may sell my spare tripod also.

Let me know if you want more details.
We could meet somewhere local for some birding and exchange if you are interested.

Rich

Favorite birds

Hi all

I love water birds too.
I think the Herons are perhaps my favourite group of birds, I would be much keener to twitch a purple Heron or any Egrets or a Stork, than I would something small and brown but rarer…..

Just outside Hants at Frensham (surrey) I had excellent though slightly distant views of the Great Grey Shrike there up until dusk on Monday night. The shrikes are one of my favourite groups of birds also.
I managed a couple of half-decent, record shots, I will post later.

Rich

Booga, check out Redwing's Kowa, a much better invesment than a mighty midgit in my opinion! Let me know if you're visiting Fleet Pond! only 5 miles away from me. We should sort out a Sunday soon, or wait for the Wood Warblers and Redstarts to return to the New Forest! or perhaps Richard knows a good spot?
Good luck

Paul

Cheers Paul!

Rich, I'm definately up for checking out your scopes, after seeing your excellent results on your site and here I'm sure you would be a better help than the guy in the shop who just baffled me with jargon and then advised a tripod that was in a 'sale' for £120!

If we organise something soon, like paul says, a sunday would be good. I'd happily bow to your knowledge regarding locations too.

Cheers

Booga

I forwarded the waxwing message from Surrybirders to Hoslist.

I have only really visited Fleet a few times in the last few years mostly looking for bittern so I could do with a guided tour!

I have lived within a few miles of where I live now for over twenty years and I think my local knowledge is pretty good. I have birds within a few miles of my house some people travel to the New Forest for, Hawfinch, (hard to find though) GG Shrike etc. I know an Oak tree where a Lt Owl has just returned for its third year that kind of thing.
Why not arrange some kind off Hants meet and I will make it if I can, if we leave it 6+ weeks it would be a nice spring migration time but next weekend is a possibility also. I am only available alternate weekends.

We are lucky enough around here to be surrounded by heaths, we are approaching a great time for Dartford, Woodlark etc, or alternatively a coastal site like Farlington should be within reach of most.

I haven't birded the Basingstoke area at all really so I expect Booga has a few local secrets too. ;)
The Vyne sounds very interesting, good waders in migration time etc!

Booga we will have to arrange something then and you can have a look at both scopes, see what you think. :t:
Unfortunately I am unavailable this weekend.

Rich
:t:

When I lived in Surrey, Fleet Pond was one of my favourite areas - easy to get to by train (!), lots of different habitats, and good birds. Are the Mandarins still there ?

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back