• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camo jacket help. (1 Viewer)

LensNV

Hi, I'm looking to buy a jack pyke jacket and I can't decide between two products . These are the jack pyke 3 in 1 jacket at about £110 or the jack pyke hunter jacket at about £65. Has anybody had any experience with these products and could perhaps recommend one? There may also be a better product out there which may be a better option, so if you know one then that would be great. Thanks

http://www.militarymart.co.uk//jack-pyke-3-in-1-jacket/prod_1012.html

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/index.php/outdoor-clothing-1/jack-pyke-english-oak-hunter-jacket.html

Thanks for the reply. A couple of other questions. Do you know how Jack Pyke compares to real tree products? Also, it seems that the 3 in 1 product is basically the Hunters jacket with a matching fleece that can be removed but for £40-50 more. How warm is just the hunters jacket or do you generally have to wear another coat or fleece under it. Just trying to get a feel for it really before I place an order. I've seen very mixed reports on these jackets but I guess you always get that.

Thanks

Simon

I don't own a Real Tree jacket so I can't really compare them.

I quite like the Jack Pyke jackets for the camo pattern and the number of pockets as the design is well thought out but have a couple of reservations about the material used.

One issue with the Hunters Jacket is the poachers pocket in the back for birdwatching use at least. Whilst on the one hand it can be unzipped and used as a seat on wet ground it's also a waterproof double layer so perspiration can be a real problem on anything but the coldest days.

Whilst the jackets are made from a breathable fabric, perspiration is an issue with both jackets. The 'breathability' isn't that great. If you get warm you sweat and it doesn't seem to wick away at places like the elbows and the small of your back on the Hunters Jacket at least.

They're certainly warm enough, stop the wind and keep you dry from rain. Even in the cold weather we've been having with temperatures down to -6°C on a couple of days I've been comfortably warm. At most even on the coldest days I only need a woolen jumper over a thick teeshirt or rugby shirt. I guess a thin fleece would do instead. Not sure I'd want to buy a 3 in 1 just for the fleece liner.

I don't own a Real Tree jacket so I can't really compare them.

I quite like the Jack Pyke jackets for the camo pattern and the number of pockets as the design is well thought out but have a couple of reservations about the material used.

One issue with the Hunters Jacket is the poachers pocket in the back for birdwatching use at least. Whilst on the one hand it can be unzipped and used as a seat on wet ground it's also a waterproof double layer so perspiration can be a real problem on anything but the coldest days.

Whilst the jackets are made from a breathable fabric, perspiration is an issue with both jackets. The 'breathability' isn't that great. If you get warm you sweat and it doesn't seem to wick away at places like the elbows and the small of your back on the Hunters Jacket at least.

They're certainly warm enough, stop the wind and keep you dry from rain. Even in the cold weather we've been having with temperatures down to -6°C on a couple of days I've been comfortably warm. At most even on the coldest days I only need a woolen jumper over a thick teeshirt or rugby shirt. I guess a thin fleece would do instead. Not sure I'd want to buy a 3 in 1 just for the fleece liner.

I've got one too and agree fully with all of Ian's observations. On really cold days it does help to have some layers underneath but as a summer camo jacket defo look elsewhere.

On a side note the Military Mart is located very close by to me here in the Northwest and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. They offer excellent service.

I bought the J Pyke hunter jacket (wildtrees/grassland camo) a few months ago. The camo pattern is excellent, but I have to say, I am extremely disappointed in its breathability.

Their customer service didnt impress either. They suggested that I'd bought lower down in the quality range (for breathability) and that I should have purchased a jacket from their range with better breathability. I said there was no mention on any of their websites, nor in the details for the jacket on other sellers' websites, regarding this (not even on the jacket itself); I got no reply.

So for me personally, I'd look elsewhere when considering a future purchase.

Best wishes

Last edited:
As for other makes, mine is a deerhunter montana 3 in 1 advantage timber. I can not fault it in any way. The quality is second to none. But is is more expensive than your original price mark.

To add to this, I have been going through the same quandary. I looked at deerhunter, Jack Pyke, Trakker, and various others.
Eventualy I found a good local shop that stocks the full range of Jack Pyke.
Trying them on I realised that the 3in 1 would be too warm for all but deepest winter so I went for the non lined jacket as I can always just layer up anyway if its cold.

So far I am pleased though I have not been out in the wet yet I also bought the trousers and have beem kneeling / lying on wet heather and grass and seems to keep me dry.
I would have prefereed a couple more pockets with zips on but at half the prce of deerhunter I am satisfied. I wil no doubt need something less warm for summer though.

have the jack pyke hunter which I use almost every day. only drawback i find is that when wet, the water gathers at the cuffs and hem of the jacket. apart from that, a very good everyday walkabout jacket.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back