• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

School field diary... (1 Viewer)

Parabuteos lad

My house backs on to a decent sized school field, about 1/3 of it is rough, uncut, the other 2/3 is cut grass for playing fields.
this is going to be a running diary, updated whenever something new is seen and i have only decided to do it as i was shocked to photograph a field fare this week on it, shocked because im in the city, not the suburbs.
Also, as i am picking up a new dog on sunday, when shes had her injections and walking i will give updates from Croxteth park.
so here goes, since 1/1/12, species seen include (school field):
1.herring gull
2.lesser black backed gull
3.greater black backed gull
4.black headed gull
5.rook
6.crow
7.jackdaw (one with white wings)
8.magpie
9. wood pigeon
10.feral pigeon
11.blackbird
12.song thrush
13.mistle thrush
14.field fare (1st for school field)
15.dunnock
16.wren
17.long tailed tit
18.sparrowhawk
19.kestrel
20.pied wagtail
21.collared dove

Croxteth park:
1.black headed gull
2.herring gull
3.mallard
4.green woodpecker
5.long tailed tit
6.blue tit
7.great tit
8.nuthatch
9.tree creeper
10.sparrowhawk
11.crow
12.magpie

A good report. You are not far from me and Croxteth park used to be my old patch when I was younger. So keep up the diary as its interesting to see what is still about around there.
I've had a few good birds over the years at Croxteth park including both fly over Merlin and Goshawk. So as you see anything can turn up as your Fieldfare proved. |:d|

Nothing has really happened recently on The school field and haven't been over the park in a while.
Field:
22. Starling
23. Gold finch
24. tawny owl

Field:
25. Swallow

Croxteth Park:
13. Great spotted woodpecker
14. Moorhen
15. Coot
16. Canada Goose
17. Jay
18. Robin
19. Blackbird
20. House Sparrow
21. Herron
22. Sky lark
23. siskin

Field:
25. Swallow

Croxteth Park:
13. Great spotted woodpecker
14. Moorhen
15. Coot
16. Canada Goose
17. Jay
18. Robin
19. Blackbird
20. House Sparrow
21. Herron
22. Sky lark
23. siskin

Hiya. I go to the park every few days, mostly right over to the Eastern edge of the park, towards the farms just before the motorway. Don't know if you are recording from there also, but this week I have seen a couple of whitethroat, male reed warbler, and there are lapwings, and if you walk past where they usually sit, one of them will fly over to you and will be quite vocal. Also, kestrels hover hunting in and around these fields every day. In the winter you will find the pipits, which will be in the same field which is used by the skylarks. Seen a couple of types of partridge in these fields, and if you go there in winter, you will pick up redwings there. Seen a few goldcrests near to the Croxteth hall house as well, often low down amongst the rhododendron. Hope I'm not patronising you, just wanted to let you know, in case you didn't already.

Field:
26. Whitethroat (first i've seen on here)

Tommy, do you mean by flukers bridge etc.? (if you cross the motorway, your on knowsley lane?) i do go over now and again, but usually walking the dogs and not looking for birds

Yes, but I've only looked around the fields which are on the West side of the bridge. I've just looked on google maps, and just up from fluker's bridge there is a place called Alder Lane, and I usually walk the fields North and South of this, but anywhere around there is good. There are one or two farm buildings dotted about there. Worth taking your bins to have a look next time you're out with the dog.
Some of the warblers for this year have moved into the park already. Seen a couple of blackcap in there today, along with some calling chiffchaff.

I don't really pay attention to any birds other than Bird of prey. the only reason i am doing this thread is because i was bored.
This morning I thought I'd take some pictures of wood pigeons close up in my garden. So i put a Decoy pigeon on my shed (purchased for this reason, works very well if anyone wants to try it) I hammered a nail in and slotted the pigeon on, got home from sixth form and a Female Sparrow hawk is sat in the tree behind my house and the pigeon has fell of the nail, so im assuming that's why she's hanging around.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back