• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2004 / 51 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Things are a bit busy at the moment, but I'm just about keeping my patch walks up one each weekend... although I'd prefer more.

The latest was today, and although there was nothing spetacular, once again everything was "just nice"!

Weather was cloudy, and cooler than of late, but still mild, with a fair old wind

The grasses have had the first part of their annual cut, and as a consequence we were rewarded with fanbtasteic views of Green Woodpeckers searching for ants. Prior to the cut, of course they would have been hidden in the vegtetation.

Also, the Kestel activitiy was increased... perhaps a combination of the wind and the more open ground... and in addition we were blessed with the first Buzzard for goodly while.

Highlight of the woodland birds was great sightings of a very busy Nuthatch.

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold text italic = Outback life tick
(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) : 18 (17)
Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis) : 3 (2)
Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) : 3 (1)
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) : 1 (1)
Coot (Fulica atra) : 3 (2)
Buzzard (Buteo buteo) : 1 (1)
Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) : 4 (2)
Magpie (Pica pica) : 6 (3)
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) : 5 (3)
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) : 1 (1)
Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) : 1 (1)
Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) : 2 (1)
Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus) : 2 (1)
Swallow (Hirundo rustica) : 6 (4)
House Martin (Delichon urbicum) : 20 (20)
Skylark (Alauda arvensis) : 1 (1)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba) : 1 (1)
Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) : 1 (1)
Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) : 5 (5)
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) : 3 (3)

Still envious of your Green Woodpeckers. They're so difficult to see in this area not to mention the Buzzard other than an occasional fly over.

I have noticed the Kestrels around here starting to return in good numbers. I counted 7 whilst out this morning.

That is pretty good, mine is close at 73 species in just over a year's recording. Hoping to see one or two more in my next survey in September. I fancy a Lapwing!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back