• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back from my first trip (1 Viewer)

PeterBird

Netherlands
I got back a week ago from my three-week trip through the N-E part of South Africa. What a fantastic country! Beautiful scenery, abundant birdlife and friendly people (well, the ones I met, anyway...;). Got a total of 225 species, which I am very happy with. I'll try and do a trip report over the next few weeks, once I have sorted through my pictures, but here's a few from the Wakkerstroom area.
Peter

1. Rufous-naped Lark
2. Levaillant's Cisticola
3. Long-tailed Widowbird
4. Amur Falcon
5. Lesser striped Swallow
(please, correct me, if I'm wrong. I have a few ID questions anyway, but I'll try myself first, before I post them here)

Attachments

• DSC05072.jpg
    DSC05072.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC05566-bewerkt.jpg
    DSC05566-bewerkt.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC05661.jpg
    DSC05661.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC05845.jpg
    DSC05845.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05888.jpg
    DSC05888.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 46
Glad you had such a great time Peter. look forward to some more photos, these that you have posted are great, thanks.

I got back a week ago from my three-week trip through the N-E part of South Africa. What a fantastic country! Beautiful scenery, abundant birdlife and friendly people (well, the ones I met, anyway...;). Got a total of 225 species, which I am very happy with. I'll try and do a trip report over the next few weeks, once I have sorted through my pictures, but here's a few from the Wakkerstroom area.
Peter

1. Rufous-naped Lark
2. Levaillant's Cisticola
3. Long-tailed Widowbird
4. Amur Falcon
5. Lesser striped Swallow
(please, correct me, if I'm wrong. I have a few ID questions anyway, but I'll try myself first, before I post them here)

Really nice pictures - but I think bird 5 might be Greater Striped Swallow. On the Lesser, the red cap should reach to below the eye.
Best wishes,
Dave

Thanks for the comment, Dave. I had thought the bold striping pointed to the Lesser, but you're right about the head, of course, so I'll gladly take your word for it.
Regards, Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back