PDA

View Full Version : Good Migration Spots

anngatt
Monday 30th August 2004, 17:17
Please could you give me some good places to go (preferably Europe) to see the migration and when. Thanks

Edward woodwood
Monday 30th August 2004, 18:16
Hi there Anngatt

Raptor migration at Istanbul in Aug thru September can be quite a spectacle
spring on Gotland (May) can be very pleasant
migration thru Israel in spring and autumn is popular
Raptors can also be seen at Borcka in NE Turkey but this is relatively hard to get to
Southern Spain - Cabo Trafalgar is likewise good

StuartReeves
Monday 30th August 2004, 19:43
Falsterbo, at the southern tip of Sweden, is a superb place to witness migration. A visit any time between late August and mid-October would be productive. There is more info at : http://www.skof.se/fbo/index_e.html

Motmot
Monday 30th August 2004, 21:03
I know it's not Europe but Costarican south caribbean coast it's simply amazing. Raptors, Vultures, Pelicans, Herons, Waders, Nighthawks, Cuckoos, Tanagers, Flycatchers, Warblers and many more can be seen easily there. October is highly recommended, best dry weather (usually) and tons of migrants.
Veracruz area in Mexico is also superb.

John Butler
Tuesday 31st August 2004, 07:28
Please could you give me some good places to go (preferably Europe) to see the migration and when. Thanks

Hi Anngatt.

Southern Spain is the hot-spot for migration, raptors in particular. The number one area is Tarifa, some 15 kms west of Gibraltar on the Atlantic Ocean side of the Strait of Gibraltar,
The busiest times are March, April and May for the spring migration and August, September and October for autumn passage.
It would take too long to give all the details but you can read an article I wrote on this area at <A href="http://www.wild-spain.com/article.php?sid=22&current=1&wsorder=3&query=John%20Butler&mode=1&type=article">www.wild-spain.com/article.php?sid=22&current=1&wsorder=3&query=John%20Butler&mode=1&type=article </A>. Just click on the link.

Regards from Donana.

John.

jynxtorquilla
Thursday 2nd September 2004, 10:45
:bounce: Hi every body,
I'm agree with u John is one of the nice place and date to see spectaculars migratrion passage of Raptors, see birds and passerines !!
Good luck to u Anngatt

Moroccan Wetland Center
[email protected]

Hi Anngatt.

Southern Spain is the hot-spot for migration, raptors in particular. The number one area is Tarifa, some 15 kms west of Gibraltar on the Atlantic Ocean side of the Strait of Gibraltar,
The busiest times are March, April and May for the spring migration and August, September and October for autumn passage.
It would take too long to give all the details but you can read an article I wrote on this area at <A href="http://www.wild-spain.com/article.php?sid=22&current=1&wsorder=3&query=John%20Butler&mode=1&type=article">www.wild-spain.com/article.php?sid=22&current=1&wsorder=3&query=John%20Butler&mode=1&type=article </A>. Just click on the link.

Regards from Donana.

John.

Jamspangle
Wednesday 22nd September 2004, 22:09
i can add another vote for Tarifa - i took part in Programa migres, the Spanish Onithological Societies annual count of migrants this September, and it was unforgetable. Leafing through my note book, brief highlights include 3000 Honey Buzzards coming over in an hour on the 5th of September, a mixed group of 15 Black Storks and 11 Egyptian Vultures, super close views of Black Kites, Short Toed Eagles (one carrying a 1 meter plus snake)and Sparrowhawks, 23 Ospeys in one day and Booted Eagles stooping at one of the many thousands of Bee-Eaters that passed through. It has to be seen to be believed. Oh yeah, and Long Legged Buzzards and Ruppels Vultures if you want rarities too.

Sanpedra
Friday 6th April 2007, 20:46
[QUOTE=John Butler]Hi Anngatt.

Regards from Donana.
I know you are farther west but we have a holiday home we visit roughly every 6 weeks 2000 metres up in the Sierra Nevada in a valley running roughly North/ South we seem to get good movement through Aug, Sept and Oct on southerly migration but not a lot in spring passage do you know if birds on northerly migration generally keep to the left of the Iberian penninsular when moving North after leaving Tarifa? I wondered if you know of any books or reports that would cover this.