• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go on Terschelling (1 Viewer)

leovb

Birdfriends,

I'm going to Terschelling (Netherlands) for a couple of days and I can't find any trip reports on the internet. Can anyone help me where the best birdspotting areas are from 6-10 september.

Hi Leovb
According to "Where to watch birds in Holland, Belgium and northern France" by Arnoud van den Berg and Dominique Lafontaine (1996), "the best birding areas during migration are west of West Terschelling, locally along the Wadden Sea dike and around Oosterend, close to the western tip of Boschplaat. A nature centre at West-Terschelling offres bird information (tel 0562-442390)." It's a Staatsbosbeheer site so they may also have information. I've not been myself, although have visited Friesland several times and spent a week on Ameland in November 2000. (I've also been on holiday in Drenthe province, based at Ansen near Dwingeloo, but that was before I took up an interest in birding)

Hope this helps,
Clive

Hi Clive,

Well that's quit unusual. Being a Dutchman getting tips from an Enhlishman on a typical Dutch Wadden Island!

Thanks Clive, I'm glad with your tips and will look for the book you mention.
Somehow this wadden Island doesn't seem popular as a "birding-hotspot". At least not by birders that write tripreports and put them on the internet. It looks almost as if there's a white spot on the birdingmap of the Dutch Wadden Islands. I will write my birding experiences on the internet here on birdforum. At least then there will be one tripreport on Terschelling (no matter how big) for future birders.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back