• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loose barrel hinge (1 Viewer)

Steve53

I have a pair of Pentax DCF 8X42 binoculars that have a loose barrel hinge. Does anyone know how to tighten this hinge? I am nowhere close to a service/repair depot for these binoculars.

Thanks, Steve

Did you try taking off the Tripod Adapter cover from the front of the hinge and seeing if you could tighten it from there? You might need a pin wrench to do it although some are slotted.

Bob

A set of circlip pliers should do the trick. before trying to turn the ring check inside both the pin holes - sometimes there is a grub screw in one of them the lock the ring in position.

A set of circlip pliers should do the trick. before trying to turn the ring check inside both the pin holes - sometimes there is a grub screw in one of them the lock the ring in position.

Gary just a quick one if you don't mind. My Zeiss FL 8x32 underneath the focus wheel when viewed from the underside have a washer type thing that moves from side to side? I have checked with another pair and they also have this. Presumably this is normal??

Cheers

Perfectly normal.

It is a flat plate with two curved cut out grooves in it for the focussing shafts to go through.

As you open and close the hinge the plate moves so that the grooves stay in line with the shafts.

Gary.

Perfectly normal.

It is a flat plate with two curved cut out grooves in it for the focussing shafts to go through.

As you open and close the hinge the plate moves so that the grooves stay in line with the shafts.

Gary.

Thanks for that Gary, and thanks for responding.

Fully aware of potentially ruining my reputation concerning mechanical expertise by suggesting such an unprofessional method, I all the same share my (repeated) experience in a primitive (and a bit risky) way of successful bridge hinge play removal: One person permanently keeps the hinge in motion until (complete!) hardening to prevent locking, while the other person fills the gaps with a little threadlocking liquid.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back