• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time to look for the Eskimo curlew (1 Viewer)

Killdeer_Chick

Ka-yute!
I thought I would start this thread because all the other threads on this subject were old. I know many of you think these birds are extinct and shouldn't be given any more attention, but I feel that it's too soon to write them off.

I think now would be the best time to look for this rare, possibly extinct bird, as they travel up to the Gulf of Mexico and the great plains. Especially in states where even seeing a whimbrel or long-billed curlew would be unusual, for example, Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska, Kansas and the Dakotas.

I know most of you are experienced birders and know about this species very well, but I thought I would go over some basics.

If you have a scope, make sure you fit it with an adapter for your camera as virtually no sightings are being confirmed without good evidence. Even if you had a photograph, it will be heavily scrutinized.

Here are some key differences between Numenius borealis and it's cousins, the whimbrel, long-billed curlew or little curlew, all of which must be ruled out (even though little curlews are very rare in the United States):

Eskimo curlews are just larger than a black bellied plover, but smaller than a greater yellowlegs.
Eskimo curlews, in general, have darker legs that are sometimes greenish in color, but often blue-gray or darker.
Eskimo curlews have a noticeably shorter bill, more like the size of a greater yellowlegs or a willet, but curved slightly downward.
Eskimo curlews don't have a very well defined eye stripe.
Eskimo curlews' primary feathers are smooth colored on the underside and they have a cinnamon colored under wing lining like a long-billed curlew, not barred like a whimbrel.

These birds are expected to be mingling with other birds that look similar, especially whimbrels, which will make finding them a challenge. They could be right before your eyes and you won't even know it. If this is the case, it might be good to photograph large flocks of whimbrel and see if there is an Eskimo curlew. Be sure to rule out juvenile whimbrels and long-billed curlews.

When in doubt, take a photo or report it with as detailed a description as possible. Remember to report what you see, not what you expect to see.

Last edited:
Here are some key differences between Numenius borealis and it's cousins, the whimbrel, long-billed curlew or little curlew, all of which must be ruled out (even though little curlews are very rare in the United States):
Eskimo curlews are just larger than a black bellied plover, but smaller than a greater yellowlegs.
Eskimo curlews, in general, have darker legs that are sometimes greenish in color, but often blue-gray or darker.
Eskimo curlews have a noticeably shorter bill, more like the size of a greater yellowlegs or a willet, but curved slightly downward.
Eskimo curlews don't have a very well defined eye stripe.
Eskimo curlews' primary feathers are smooth colored on the underside and they have a cinnamon colored under wing lining like a long-billed curlew, not barred like a whimbrel.

Having had the privilege of examining Eskimo Curlew skins in The Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh, I suggest that there's one more distinctive characteristic - the chest and upper belly spotting, though variable in coverage, consists of extended arrowhead markings, rather like << with the top and bottom edges joined up, pointing forwards.
MJB

Another thing to notice is wing length. Eskimo curlews tend to have wings as long or longer than their tails. Also, their toes don't hang off the end of their tails when they fly unlike their cousins, the little curlew and whimbrel.

Another thing to notice is wing length. Eskimo curlews tend to have wings as long or longer than their tails. Also, their toes don't hang off the end of their tails when they fly unlike their cousins, the little curlew and whimbrel.

The very best of luck with your project, I wish you well and hope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back