• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tangara lavinia dalmasi (1 Viewer)

Susan Manchester

I have seen Count de Dalmas' name listed in a couple places with the initials T. S. P., as in T. S. P. Raymond, Comte de Dalmas. Are these initials part of his name?

"Are these initials part of his name?"
I do not know what T.S. P. means but I think I can prove it is not part of his name. The only French commonly used salutation equaling T.S.P. is Tres-Saint Pere which means Most Holy Father which is used for the Pope of Rome or the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. Unlikely to be applied to Compte de Dalmas. The T.S.P. is not a title because he continued to use le Compte and the "de' in his name. Signs of nobility. When de Dalmas was young he took his yacht around the world and the T.S.P. was not used to describe him then. So I believe the T.S.P. is an honorific, that is something he earned by his actions during his life. Honorifics can often be from being a judge or a member of a legislature. Le Compte Raymond de Dalmas early in his life did some ornithology work but later became an expert in spiders. This T.S.P. is probably not just a membership in a scientific society, because those initials usually follow the name not proceed the name. See all the ornithologists like Gould etc where after their name is F.R.S. etc. On the continent were chivalry orders which honored scientists, artists poets etc. I think that is what the T.S.P. is from but I do not know what it is. But it is certainly not part of his name. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Birth record (Cote V4E 21) here (8/21) Auguste Charles Raymond Guillaume Jacques de Dalmas born 5. February 1862 1. Arrondissement.
Death record (Cote 8D 204) here 23/ 31 4. February 1930 8. Arrondissement.

As in The Key to Scientific Names

Tangara lavinia dalmasi (Hellmayr, 1910) OD here
Dalmas's Barbet OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Dalmas's Barbet Capito auratus aurantiicinctus Dalmas, 1900 [Alt. Gilded Barbet ssp.]
Rufous-winged Tanager ssp.Tangara lavinia dalmasi Hellmayr, 1910
Raymond, Compte de Dalmas (1862–1930), was a wealthy French nobleman, chess master and naturalist. He circumnavigated the world in his yacht Chazalie, during which he stayed in Japan (1882–1883) and wrote a book about his experiences there. He was in the Americas (1893–1897), and is recorded collecting at Guira and Yacua on the Venezuelan coast (1895).

Obituary in The Auk here p. 163 (I am sure there are others as well).

Last edited:
Regarding Susans initial enquiry (post #1). T.S.P. appears immediately before Dalmas obituary in Auk. This is a pen name for

Theodore Sherman Palmer (January 26, 1868 – July 24, 1955). He was a member of the Auk editorial committee in the 1920s and 30s.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back