• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Donana NP Spain (1 Viewer)

Eagle

I've posted this elsewhere but I think this is where this should be!
Next weekend 25/26 sept I shall be in Jerez. i'd like to visit Donana NP.
I shall probably be alone as most will go to the beach or treking on the Sat.
So one day....where do I go to make the most of my visit? Anyone out there able to help? I will be able to use a car.
I would like to see an Imperial Eagle....

Last edited:
Hi
Might be worth going to John Butler's 'Donana Bird Tours' website and contactin him. Go to the Bird Forum 'Links' page - International Birding - Donana Bird Tours. If anyone can help or evn find you a Spanish Imp, he can. Good luck anyway, hope it's a good trip. Jules (www.olivaramatours.com)

I'll 2nd the recomendation for John. He lives in Vilamanrique and we met him there last year. Smashing chap and he is a mine of information. What he doesn't know about the area isn't worth knowing.

Reader said:
I'll 2nd the recomendation for John. He lives in Vilamanrique and we met him there last year. Smashing chap and he is a mine of information. What he doesn't know about the area isn't worth knowing.

Just seen your reply Reader...obviously going in the right direction!
Cheers

Eagle said:
Awaiting reply from the expert.....
Anyone else help in case he doesnt reply?

Perhaps he is away, but his website has a lot of info in any event.
I was there earlier this year, a great place to visit...put 'Donana' into the Search Forums box and there will be a lot of useful gen.

Unfortunately he is fully booked next weekend just my luck...I've actually been booked on the fight for months before I joined Birdforum! teach me to get my act together!
I've visited his site thanks and its very good. Not sure now hes unavailable, as I 'm probably the only one who wants to go birdwatching!
Just have to arrange to go out another time...but get organised!

Just to thank all who have responded and others who have contacted me.
I'm going to go next May half term! John has been so helpful I am now very excited! Obviously difficult getting flights for that week but now booked up for the flight....awaiting all the organisational stuff from John...
:bounce:
Sad news about the Spanish Imperial Eagles tho' down from 20 pairs to 7 this year.Lets keep everything crossed for their sucessful survival till next breeding season and for lots of healthy young Eagles being raised.
I'm going to add them to my list for prayers!And drink to their health! B :)

Eagle said:
Just to thank all who have responded and others who have contacted me.
I'm going to go next May half term! John has been so helpful I am now very excited! Obviously difficult getting flights for that week but now booked up for the flight....awaiting all the organisational stuff from John...
:bounce:
Sad news about the Spanish Imperial Eagles tho' down from 20 pairs to 7 this year.Lets keep everything crossed for their sucessful survival till next breeding season and for lots of healthy young Eagles being raised.
I'm going to add them to my list for prayers!And drink to their health! B :)

Glad you're sorted, I was there in May and it was fantastic...you'll have a great time.

Grousemore said:
Glad you're sorted, I was there in May and it was fantastic...you'll have a great time.

So was I, with another forum member. We were there for 3 nights - 4 days in the 1st week.

Regarding Spanish Imperial Eagles. I have been extremely fortunate with this species having seen them on all 5 trips I have been there. This year one dropped onto the dirt track, near to the Valverdi centre, with prey in its talons and then proceeded to drop out of sight behind a fence. We were within 50 feet of the bird. That definitely was a highlight of this years trip.

Reader said:
So was I, with another forum member. We were there for 3 nights - 4 days in the 1st week.
Missed you by a week then, although I did meet John Butler and another BF Member, Richard Dunn.
Didn't get to see Imperial Eagle...not helped by part of the road from Valverde being closed.

Are you going next weekend as well as in May half-term? If so as you're in Jerez then try and visit Brazo del Este, as many people reckon it's probably better than Donana itself and it's a lot easier to get to from Jerez if my memory serves me. You'll have to refer to Paterson and Garcia's Where to watch birds.... for directions I'm afraid though. Of course, the marshes will be a lot drier than when I went in April 2003, so not sure what it's like for birding in September.

And try Laguna de Medina which is only a short distance from Jerez. I saw Red-knobbed Coot, White-headed Duck and Black-necked Grebe there in April 2003.

E

Edward
I shall be in Jerez this weekend but I shall be birding on the way to the beach and also on the way to and from Seville on the Sunday! Taking the bins...but decided I wasn't quite up todoing it on my own this time!
So its all go for next May...I'll be able to orientate myself this time..and be ready for the solo trip...except for 4 days with John!
I'm encouraged by the sighting of Imperial Eagles thanks!Hope i'm as lucky!
I have a thing for Eagles as you can tell!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back