• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-821M or Opticron ES 80 GA?? (1 Viewer)

Brad Buck

I am (still) looking for my first scope, and I need a piece of advice from some of you more expirienced birders. In Denmark the two scopes: Kowa TSN-821M and Opticron ES 80 GA - both with 32w eyepiece - cost about the same, and I can't spend more mony on a new scope. I know that the Kowa scope has got normal glass and the Opticron has got 'special' glass - but can I see huge differences in the optical qualities when I 'only' use 32x magnification??

Regards Brad

Kowa/Opticron

Brad Buck said:
I am (still) looking for my first scope, and I need a piece of advice from some of you more expirienced birders. In Denmark the two scopes: Kowa TSN-821M and Opticron ES 80 GA - both with 32w eyepiece - cost about the same, and I can't spend more mony on a new scope. I know that the Kowa scope has got normal glass and the Opticron has got 'special' glass - but can I see huge differences in the optical qualities when I 'only' use 32x magnification??

Regards Brad

Hi Brad
If you decide on the Kowa go for the TSN 823 or the opticron ES 80 GA ED.
Which ever one you choose go for the ed glass I know I made the mistake and it cost me .
Stan.

Brad Buck said:

Regards Brad
Www.warehouseexpress.com still have some Nikon ED78s available at a very low price (it is now a discontinued model). This is an ED scope of the highest quality. The available eyepieces in the offer are not the most ideal - the 38x is the best one, but later you can buy a zoom as that scope is very similar indeed to the new ED82. This is a better deal, I suspect, than either the non ED Kowa or Opticron.

The Opticron ES80 GA ED/45 with 30xW is a very good scope, though, if the price is in your range. It seems to me that Opticron have truly complicated their range though - goodness knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
scampo said:
Www.warehouseexpress.com still have some Nikon ED78s available at a very low price (it is now a discontinued model). This is an ED scope of the highest quality. The available eyepieces in the offer are not the most ideal - the 38x is the best one, but later you can buy a zoom as that scope is very similar indeed to the new ED82. This is a better deal, I suspect, than either the non ED Kowa or Opticron.

The Opticron ES80 GA ED/45 with 30xW is a very good scope, though, if the price is in your range. It seems to me that Opticron have truly complicated their range though - goodness knows what they are doing.

I wish that www.warehouseexpress.com would ship to Denmark - but they don't. The prices you have in England are quite different than our prices on optical equipment. When it comes to Nikon - almost no one buys that because of higher prices than Leica and Zeiss. The Danish marked is really different... and more expensive.
Anders

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back