• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fz20 (1 Viewer)

jward

This looks like the one I've been waiting for! Retailing at 599 + free 128 meg memory card here in the US. I plan on getting one this month to practice fall/winter and be ready for spring.

Anyone heard anything good/bad on the FZ20?

jw

Hi, JW.
I've been using the FZ10 all summer and getting pretty good results with it. From what I've read, they've improved the processor and of course, increased the megapixels from 4 to 5 in the FZ20. The lens will be the same.

I preferred my old CP 5000 to the FZ10 for macro work - the quality of the images is better to my eye. However, the image-stabilized 12x gives vastly better and more consistent results than the CP 5000 with a 3x extender lens. And, the controls on the FZ10 are so much easier to use than the CP 5000, particularly when switching to manual focusing. I've learned a whole lot more about digital photography in the past several months that I've had the FZ10.

You should look at the photo galleries posted on the Forum. I've noticed that a number of photographers here use the FZ10 and you'll get some idea from their work of what to expect from the FZ20, which should have even better results.

Some advice about the memory card. I have three 256mb cards and on a good birding week-end, I fill up one to two cards, which hold about 140 images each (4mp) as I use the high quality option. The 5mp image of the FZ20 will use even more space on the card, so you need to have more storage unless you use your images just for the web or small-size prints. I also strongly recommend that you buy a fast card(s), as regular ones significantly slow down your photography. I've bought SanDisk Ultra II cards and the Panasonic card. They are both speedy. Overall, I'd say that my Panasonic card has been a bit more reliable.

Also -- I've shot more than 3,000 images with this camera since late May and I haven't had a bit of trouble. It's extremely reliable. I'm about to buy a DSLR, but I'll hang on to the camera as a back-up and for walking-around.

I've learned a couple of other things about the FZ10 that have helped me, so I'd be happy to pass that info on if you decide to buy the FZ20. Best wishes in your decision-making.

Adios from New Mexico.
Ingrid

I've just purchased an FZ20 and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. :bounce: Does anyone have any information about this camera and teleconverter lenses?

The two most popular teleconverters seem to be the Tcon 17 which I am using as I have had it for a few years now and the Sony HGD1758 which from what I have seen works even better with the Panasonic.

Both need adapter tubes to mount them on the camera.

This is the FZ10 with Tcon 17 fitted via the adapter tube, though it also takes the Tcon 14 as well which I use in tandem with the Tcon17.

Attachments

• DSCN0801aaa.jpg
    DSCN0801aaa.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
jward said:
This looks like the one I've been waiting for! Retailing at 599 + free 128 meg memory card here in the US. I plan on getting one this month to practice fall/winter and be ready for spring.

Anyone heard anything good/bad on the FZ20?

jw
I just paid 539.99 at Circuit city online. Got a 256meg sd card for 35.99. Have used it for 2 days and it seems like a winner to me. Good luck.

Charliesmed said:
I just paid 539.99 at Circuit city online. Got a 256meg sd card for 35.99. Have used it for 2 days and it seems like a winner to me. Good luck.

B & H has it for 489, no tax, just shipping. Very reputable company. There is another telephotos for the fx20, it is the raynox 2020pro, 2.2 magnification. you can use it with a phaynee or peramal adapter, or eventhe adapter from raynox.

Waiting for mine

I have taken possession of my FZ20 for 735.00cdn, had it a week now, very impressed! They have fitted themselves into a niche market, quality of shots are excellent, IS works reasonably well at high zoom, all function buttons are well placed on the camera, new Venus II engine gives less lag time than my previous Canon Pro 1 and it zooms very quickly, the feature I like the best is the manual focus, AF/MF switch is located on lens barrell, when MF is engaged you use the focus ring on lens barrell so you do not have to take your eye off of your subject, quality of electronic viewfinder is excellent, pixilation is minimal. I will keep you posted, regards, Raptor.

I have had my Fz20 for two weeks now. I am completely satisfied with it and the results it produces. I still have my Nikon SLR and lenses but it is so convenient having all I need in one compact, lightweight package for the type of photography that interests me - natural history record shots. Also it is much cheaper in terms of "film".

Roy Ledgerton

Panasonic FZ20 and raynox converter

Hello Friends,

I have a panasonic Fz20 camera and recently I purchased a Raynox 2x converter and extender for bird photographs.

I do not get sharp pictures with converter and want to know following from forum:

1. is anyone using converters with this camera for pics?
2. I am using this camera handheld. is it necessary to use a tripod or monopod with this converter?
3. Can i shoot autofocus with converter?
4. Any other tip for using converters with FZ20?

looking forward to receive guidance and help..thanks in advance...

Cheers

Viren

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back