• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (1 Viewer)

hanri

Hello,

During the last two weeks of August 2012, I am going to spend several days in the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ..
Could anyone indicate me some interesting spots where I could watch birds in this area during this time?

Thank you in advance.

Hanri

Thank you for your fast answer, I've seen the noticed thread but it is relative to the southern region and in my case I plan to stay in the north near the Baltic sea,but your informations about Schallsee and the Darss peninsula are very interesting for me. Thank you very much
Best regards

Hanri

Salut Hanri,

if you want to stay on the coast, the already mentionned Darss-Zingst peninsula is a good place, also the islands hiddensee and Rügen should be good.

For detailed site info, best buy the book "Vögel beobachten in Ostdeutschland". Even if you don't read German, there are detailed maps all recommended locations. See the pic for the sites covered in the book.
Another good resource is ornitho.de, where your can look up recent sightings. Very good for planning if you are after specific species.

Have a good trip,
Florian

Attachments

• birdsites-east germany.JPG
    birdsites-east germany.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hi Florian
As i don't read German I am registered on ornitho.de, thank you very much for this excellent information this is a great site that is available in French.
I think finding what I need with this site.

Thanks and regards
Hanri

Very good place is bird island Langenwerder near Wismar.
Only smalll part of the island can be visited, but every sunday are guided tours at 10 am.
http://www.langenwerder.de/en/

If You are not asked for visiting before, even though I would recommend go to the meeting point near the beach.

From the beach of island Poel are excellent view points for waders.

An other place on island Poel is lake Fauler See.
Watch out for Great Bittern !
Check the east and west side of the lake.

river Peene near Menzlin ( nearby Anklam is very interesting to )

Another good spot for waders is Karrendorfer Wiesen nordwest of Greifswald and also the Beach of Wampen nearby.
This are good places for Caspian tern and also quite reliable for Broad - Billed Sandpiper.
http://maps.google.de/maps/ms?oe=UT...d=114739290189385659505.00043c4b7a89062c5270d

lake Galenbecker See is very interesting
http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&pq...=y-ozULKPGIbSsgbv3YCIDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

Last edited:
Hi Albatross,

Some problems with internet access done that I have not been,earlier, able to thank you for this information .I have seen only today your second message on the private box
I have staid in Schwerin and from there I have gone to Poel island.
I saw many birds birds waterfowl, gulls, waders ....unfortunately I have not been able to visit the island of languerwerde (I don't speak german and i think it could be difficult to me to understand ) but from the beach of polel island I have seen numerous birds particulary limicoles .
Thank you for this indication Island poel is a really nice place to birdwatching.

Hi Albatross,

Some problems with internet access done that I have not been,earlier, able to thank you for this information .I have seen only today your second message on the private box
I have staid in Schwerin and from there I have gone to Poel island.
I saw many birds birds waterfowl, gulls, waders ....unfortunately I have not been able to visit the island of languerwerde (I don't speak german and i think it could be difficult to me to understand ) but from the beach of polel island I have seen numerous birds particulary limicoles .
Thank you for this indication Island poel is a really nice place to birdwatching.

Sorry for the late reaction.
I was in the north too, for bird watching and for Hanse Sail.

If I travel in foreign countries I try to write down the mot interesting bird names in the language of the country.
Buy the way, there is a new guide book in Germany with author Svensson.
I suppose the book is similar like Collins guides.
This book has german, scientific and englisch names at each chapter !

If You will travel to south Germany than we can do bird tours together.
I am not a guide, but in my spartime I often go for birding.

Thanks again for your help .If I would to come in south germany for bird watching I will not hesitate to contact you through this forum .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back