• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Alps, Morzine in Sptember (1 Viewer)

Reader

We are currently thinking of having a seven night break in Morzine and was wondering what birds we might see in this area. Are there any sites you can recommend that we should visit.

I have noticed the odd report that states Lammergeir a possibility. Is that right. Also Citril Finch. If that is right that would be a lifer.

What Woodpeckers are in the area as there maybe a chance of a lifer there as well.

I haven't done any birding anywhere near this area before and can't find any reports covering it so am totally in the dark about what is around.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
John

Hi, I have not birded there, so just some more general infos.

Lammergeier, Citril Finch, Black WP should be possible, with luck for the first one and in the right place for the other two. Other mountain birds can be found as well of course, go hiking a lot up high and keep the ears open.

Otherwise, there is a very good spot for raptor migration in Fort l'Ecluse near Geneva.

Thanks dalat

Unfortunately at my age and suffering with Angina my climbing days are far behind me. I am hoping you can drive to these places then walk to the sites.

This is the sort of info I need as well as species that can be found.

Citril Finch would be a major bird for me so some good sites for this species would be welcome. I have had Lammergeir in Turkey but never Europe so that would be another good bird to see. I have only had Black Woodpecker in Lithuania so it would be nice to see one again.

Are there any other woodpeckers in the area such as Three toed, White-backed etc.

John

John

Hi, I have not birded there, so just some more general infos.

Lammergeier, Citril Finch, Black WP should be possible, with luck for the first one and in the right place for the other two. Other mountain birds can be found as well of course, go hiking a lot up high and keep the ears open.

Otherwise, there is a very good spot for raptor migration in Fort l'Ecluse near Geneva.

Sixt-fer-a-cheval reserve is not far from Morzine if memory serves. We walked the lower entrance a few years back which is fairly level with wonderful visuals. We had Wallcreepers by the first biggish waterfall we came to on the left as they like the wetter surfaces. Used the higher entrance the next time but that was pretty steep! Had Nutcrackers and Citril Finches here too

Hi John,
Citril Finches are not too high, so it shouln't be too difficult to find site that have relatively easy access. Mixed forest around the tree limit is quite good.
You won't find White-backed WP that far west, Three-toed yes, again if you are in the right habitat, however outside spring they are quite secretive and not so easy to find.
A good way may be to register to the ornitho.ch website, there you can look up recent sightings of your target birds in your area and like this find good sites (Haut-Savoie is Dep. Nr. 74).
Florian

You should be able to see Lammergeier if you park at the Col de la Colombière, they pass frequently across the rock faces right up above the restaurant. If you walk a short distance along the track on the opposite side of the road to the restaurant you can see all the rock faces. There may also still be Griffon Vultures roaming around too.

Mike

Thanks for the info guys.

Unfortunately when we went to book it we had been beaten by a large group taking over the property (which was under a massive discount) and there were no vacancies left.

I had a look at other places in the area but they are way too expensive for us so it's back to the drawing board.

I am currently looking at the Cantabria area of Spain and have a few e-mails out to owners to look at prices and availability.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back