• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanklin Downs (yep I know there's an IOW thread) (1 Viewer)

Frenchpolisher

Hi all

Apologies for posting this here but I notice the last post on the IOW thread didn't get an answer so hoping the wider audience might drum something up.

The family and I will be heading to shanklin for our summer holiday next week. I have done a bit of casual birding with them on walks over Shanklin and Luccombe Downs in the past. Last year I was lucky enough to see female Redstart and Pied Fly which were both firsts. I've also seen Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Peregrine and Wood Warbler in the past.

I just have a few questions I was hoping someone might help me with. Firstly, do Redstart breed on the island? I notice they are seen there throughout summer which would indicate so. Secondly, are there still Dartford Warblers on Luccombe Down? If so is there any reliable area for spotting them?
Lastly, are there any spots on the Downs that I should pay special attention to? Lots of different habitat to cover but would be nice to know I'm not overlooking anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back