• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 'Extra Lens' (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Check out the cutaway view of a Meopta Bin on http://www.meopta-history.com/?id=176, or take a look at the rather better one in the Meopta 2012 Nature Observation catalogue, page 8.

Here you can see that there is a lens positioned just under the prism box, on the objective side.

I have never seen a lens in this position before. Does anyone know what this lens is doing here?

Lee

Bob

If you check out the 2012 Meopta brochure there is a huge cutaway pic on page 8 which clearly shows a lens at this position.........

Lee

I've haven't been able to find a copy of the catalog/brochure on the internet. Do you have a link to it?

Bob

Bob

Go to http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/overview/binoculars-9/meostar-b1-series-23.html

Then click on the small cutaway pic on the right hand side of the webpage and it expands to a big view. Its from the objective end so you get a good view of the lens I am talking about.

Lee

Lee,

Here is a picture of a Schmidt/Pechan prism assembly with the objective end pointing upward. There seems to be a circular lens there enclosed inside a metal bracket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/5207090693/

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob

1 The SP cluster may have a lens there or it could just be the prism glass showing through the round metal aperture.

2 I see what you mean about the diagonal on the website pic. Have checked out the same pic in the brochure under a magnifier and its not a diagonal after all, just a sort of shadow effect.

Thanks for pursuing this with me.

Lee

My best guess is that it's just the last element of the objective unit. I think that the lens element in front of it (closer to the objective end of the bin) is the focusing element because it looks like it is on a movable structure. So I suppose one could say that the B1's use a four element objective (with the 3rd movable element for focusing).

http://www.meopta-history.com/?id=176

My best guess is that it's just the last element of the objective unit. I think that the lens element in front of it (closer to the objective end of the bin) is the focusing element because it looks like it is on a movable structure. So I suppose one could say that the B1's use a four element objective (with the 3rd movable element for focusing).

http://www.meopta-history.com/?id=176

Yes, I think that's it. The focusing element is forward, instead of
moving the ocular. I got to visit an optical engineer and do some
ray tracing. Moving a field/focuser behind the objective has a very potent
effect on the focal point (so it makes for easy smooth focusing). It also
provides another effective gate for glare.
There is a little downside, though: because of the way the ray angles are
bent in more than if they were from the objective, the apparent F/ratio
as seen from the ocular is lower, so the depth of field (range over which
you can hold a certain resolution) is reduced.

This was my interest in that lens: it occurs in many binoculars now,
and I had seen the effect at home and in the shops, where there
is almost a "moving focal stage" until you get out past 100-200 feet.
Just something to consider when you're picking up a pair for a given
context. It can be a nice "featuring" effect, especially of you
are taking photos through a barrel. For dynamic 3D action (like
nearby bluejay mobs) you might want more depth or to be farther away.
It does make for very smooth rugged focusing, of course.
The design doesn't have to dangle two hefty eyepieces in a harness:
they are mounted, and the moving element is braced by the central body.

Last edited:
There is a little downside, though: because of the way the ray angles are
bent in more than if they were from the objective, the apparent F/ratio
as seen from the ocular is lower, so the depth of field (range over which
you can hold a certain resolution) is reduced.

The focussing element should be regarded as being part of the objective.
In the Meopta Meostar it is a converging element (+ve.), so it moves in the direction of the prisms, when focussing towards infinity.

Here is another example of a positive focussing element http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/file.php?9,file=769,filename=image.jpg, though in this case it is more moving objective with a fixed, weak, positive, protecting element at the front.

Many newer designs have diverging (-ve.) focussing elements, which move away from the prisms, when focussing towards infinity. In that case the front elements would have to provide more convergence for a specific focal length.

The focal ratio in an afocal instrument such as a telescope or binocular has no effect on depth of field. The latter is dependant solely on magnification.

Btw, it was interesting to see that Meopta grind their roof prisms to 90° +/- 1" (arcsecond). I had previously only seen figures of +/- 2" mentioned.

John

The focussing element should be regarded as being part of the objective.

If that were absolutely true, either it would have zero effect, or you would have to move them both the same amount to preserve the veracity of that statement.
You either have 'is part of the objective' or you have 'alters the focal point of the objective a lot'. You can't have both.

The focal ratio in an afocal instrument such as a telescope or binocular has no effect on depth of field. The latter is dependent solely on magnification.

As Giovanni Henriksen would say, "hmm, interesting theory".
Hopefully I'll get to some experiments.

The focal ratio in an a focal instrument such as a telescope or binocular has no effect on depth of field.

It has a whopping effect in cameras. It's marked. My spotter is marked, too.
Or...a followup: since any prior known system like cameras and telescopes
(my Swift spotter has the field depth limits marked as well) has an effect on field depth from the
focal length, how do binoculars escape this?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back