• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift 7x36 Eaglet History ???? (1 Viewer)

cycleguy

Hi,

I'll admit that I'm not a birder...
sheeez... that registration question about "which of the following can a
bird not do".... well, it took me 4 tries to get past that one! :t:

But, I'm something of a bino guy...
Suffer from ACTTAB (always curious to try another binocular)...

Can anyone(s) provide me with the history of the Swift 7x36 Eaglet???? When it was first introduced and the various offerings it has gone thru and approximately when they happened. (I'm seeing pics of rubber eye-cup and twist up eye-cup versions; and I'm seeing pics of twist up eyecup versions marked CFT Prisms and others marked Waterproof... so confusing).

Thanks in advance,

cycleguy

P.S. - Some bino's I've owned: Leupold Cascades 8x42, Mojave 8x42 & 10x42, Hawthorne 7x42, GR HD 8x32; Nikon Travelite II 9x25, Monarch ATB 8x42 & 10x42, SE 8x32, Swarovski EL WB 8x32 & 10x32; assorted pockets including Cabela's Alaskan & Zeiss Victory.

Hi Cycle Guy!

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Swift has changed ownership over the years from the days when it was run by the late Humphrey H. Swift. You can get more information about the company from this Swift Binocular Forum. Look in the "Sticky" on the Model 804 Audubon Binocular at the top of the forum. There is a lot of interest here in the history of the company, especially in the history of the Model 804 8.5 x 44 Audubon binocular and some of the experts will likely have something to say shortly.

The warranty information shows Swift's headquarters is in Lakewood, Colorado if you haven't tried contacting them.

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/warranty.html

Bob

Last edited:
The Opticron BGA Classic 7 x 36, a European Binocular, seems to be a clone of the Swift 7 x 36. They both are discussed in this recent thread here on Bird Forum:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2530887#post2530887

Bob

Thanks for the welcome and replies Ceaser. I'll start searching the web to learn more on the Opticron. I'm not familiar with them.

Interesting that Swift is headquartered here, but doesn't retail here. ???? Check their website "where to buy" and the state of Colorado is blank. Explains why I've never seen their product in our local stores.

Many of the on-line retailers are listing this item as not in stock, and most haven't updated their webpage to represent the current model. So, maybe not much consumer interest in these despite their positive reviews.

Would still like to know what year the model was upgraded with the CFT Prisms, anybody???? I'm guessing 2005.

CG

Thanks for the welcome and replies Ceaser. I'll start searching the web to learn more on the Opticron. I'm not familiar with them.

Interesting that Swift is headquartered here, but doesn't retail here. ???? Check their website "where to buy" and the state of Colorado is blank. Explains why I've never seen their product in our local stores.

Many of the on-line retailers are listing this item as not in stock, and most haven't updated their webpage to represent the current model. So, maybe not much consumer interest in these despite their positive reviews.

Would still like to know what year the model was upgraded with the CFT Prisms, anybody???? I'm guessing 2005.

CG

Hahahah haHA... change that "e" to an "a"... my bad!

CG

OK... I think I'd like to get a new or lightly used pair. Anyone know a source here in the US that is offering a really good deal ... pm me.

CG

The original ones,reviewed in Better View Desired,are not Phase Coated..I am not sure if they have an intermediate version ,between these and the last CFT version,with phase correction and the old rubber eyecups..I think Not..I think the CFT is the first version having Phase correction ..the CFT name,stands for Cold Fusion Technology,..A special way to apply multicoatings to the Prism, without exposing It to high temperature...Cant comment on the advantages of such innovation or the uniqueness of the same,but seems to be the selling point of the model, in the view of Swift merket experts. Not a very good selling point,for this binocular doesnt seem to be a best seller,as some of You already mantioned..Not an Inexpensive model ,probably due to the High-tech claims, Is on the other Hand a VERY good binocular..Has great optics, and Very good ergonomics..is Small and lightweight,...good quality focuser, nice eyecups, ..Has real close focus capability(4.5/5 feet) perfect eye relief,and a better than stated (the good part) FOV..I measured one pair to be 400feet instead of the 375 stated..Not only measured It,I compared it with a Bushnell custom 7x26,a bin of the same magnification and very similar FOV,and the comparison confirmed the Eaglet to have a wider FOV. Another member of the forum measured one other pair`s FOV, and seemed to be similar to that 400 feet point..My experience for what is worht...As I said a great,sharp view with great contrast..It also looks good ...simple understated looks,,a real serious Guy..
Ah..two things I didnt like..the edge of the roof prism created a faint line that was visible in daylight ,in certain instances, And that created spikes on bright lights..This was possibly a defect of my unit,since other users could not see this in their units..The other thing,also personal,Is that at certain point I STARTED to see rolling Ball on the view..after weeks of Use,I once noticed Rolling Ball effect and stayed until I sold the binos!..My experience has been the opposite with some models,..noticing it at first and then compensating to the point of not noticing any more..I think this case was interesting..RetroActive Roller ..
Again,I really loved them,and I always wanted (and want)to own another pair ,to compare with my memories

I really don't know for sure if the differences between the Swift Eaglet and the Opticron Classic are anything other than cosmetic but everything I read leads me to think they are functionally the same.

The Opticron Classic series had what they call "Oasis" 64-layer prism coating and phase coating from 2004 according to their archive. Couldn't say if that is the same as CFT but sounds likely.

I'm normally pretty sensitive to AMD and though the pincushion is on the low side with the Classic it has never given me problems. However my glasses add a little bit more which might make the difference. Not seen the spiking issue either.

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back