• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Frogmouths (1 Viewer)

Hi Kiko

How lucky to have these fascinating birds nesting so close to you. Hope to see them for the first time myself later this month (in QLD). Aren't they difficult to find by day, as they are so well camouflaged?

E

Edward said:
Hi Kiko

How lucky to have these fascinating birds nesting so close to you. Hope to see them for the first time myself later this month (in QLD). Aren't they difficult to find by day, as they are so well camouflaged?

E

Hi Edward

yes but they don't half make a racket in the eveining...OOOOMMM!!

you should get them without any problem i reckon.

You might need a few Fall tapes though for some of those long drives.... ;)

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Edward

yes but they don't half make a racket in the eveining...OOOOMMM!!

you should get them without any problem i reckon.

You might need a few Fall tapes though for some of those long drives.... ;)

I'm not familiar with the sound Tawnies make (yet!), Tim, but I heard a recording of the Marbled Frogmouth yesterday, which is also present near Brisbane although much scarcer. Fantastic sound, as with so many Caprimulgiformes. And then there's Papuan Frogmouth near Cairns, have to find out what that sounds like too before I go.

I look forward to hearing more news from NSW by the way, Kiko.

E

Will do Edward, the young of this pair should be hatching soon, they build terrible nests, the eggs or the young often fall out. They have one to three chicks. Will post photos of them.

They usually nest in the same tree each year and are never very high up. Tawnies seem to come back each morning to the same trees and never move until dark, but they are still hard to spot.

The Currawongs are pestering them at the moment so maybe the young have hatched, that's nature, and I've never met a bird that I didn't like.

You'll see some great birds in Queensland.

Last edited:
A visiting friend was lying in bed waiting for sleep to arrive but started to count the calls of the Tawny Frogmouth while waiting. The longest series of 'oooms' was forty and the shortest nineteen. Then they stopped calling allowing her to go to sleep.

I don't know what these birds live on during the winter months here (Byron Bay, north coast NSW) as there are no obivous flying insects. We have sat outside all evening, with lights on, without attracting insects at all. Now that the weather is warming up there are a few moths about but nothing like I would expect in Victoria where we also have resident frogmouths.
PS. I am a winter migrant from Vic going north for a bit of warmth like so many of the birds

Hi Nancy, lucky you in Byron.

Tawny Frogmouths eat nocturnal insects, worms, slugs, snails, small mammals, mice etc, reptiles, frogs and birds are also eaten.

So I guess they don't starve in Byron.

I was under the impression that they only took flying insects. Their beaks are so developed with wide open beak and associated whiskers as aids that I can't imagine then taking prey off the ground. I don't have any major books to hand to refer to (being in holiday mode!) but I accept that you are right and thay do take other prey. I will be back in Victoria within a few days from now and back in connection with my library. It's getting too warm here in Byron Bay for me but it will be a bit chilly when I get back to Victoria.
Val

quote " Food and feeding
The bulk of the Tawny Frogmouth's diet is made up of nocturnal insects, worms, slugs and snails. Small mammals, reptiles, frogs and birds are also eaten. Most food is obtained by pouncing to the ground from a tree or other elevated perch. Some prey items, such as moths, are caught in flight, which has led to many unfortunate instances of birds being hit by cars while chasing insects illuminated in the beam of the headlights. "

got this from the web...

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/tawny_frogmouth.htm

My books say the same.

have a safe trip home.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back