• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prime Rainguard??? (1 Viewer)

I'm pretty happy with the one supplied, it fits perhaps a bit tight but if you don't press it down hard it stays on OK and still comes off when you want it to. I'd rather have it a bit tight and be sure of the protection than too large and too loose, I have some that are like that and they are not that useful, YMMV.

It's the tightness that's bothersome! I agree to loose isn't good either! I wouldn't mind the rubber one that comes with if it was a smidge larger! Bryce...

It sure would be helpful, when looking at buying aftermarket rainguards, if they gave the size of the Inner Diameter in millimeters or whatever...but all they say is 'fits XP Gunga Din' or somesuch...

Coincidentally I just now received in the mail, a Vortex rainguard from Eagle Optics, their Vortex Binocular Rainguard BAC-VT-RAINGUARD, and it is tapered and will fit from about 35mm-43mm OD oculars (hmmmm...looks like 35mm might be a bit loose) - I guessed right for some older binos I have! Now I can order another set for another pair of binoculars!

Last edited:
It's the tightness that's bothersome! I agree to loose isn't good either! I wouldn't mind the rubber one that comes with if it was a smidge larger! Bryce...

The problem is that those oculars are bigger in diameter than anything else on the market. Doubt you will find anything really satisfactory. Likely the best option is contacting ZR and asking them to have their next batch made slightly larger in diameter.

I just don't push them down any tighter than I want them to be. Not much of a trick.

The problem is that those oculars are bigger in diameter than anything else on the market. Doubt you will find anything really satisfactory. Likely the best option is contacting ZR and asking them to have their next batch made slightly larger in diameter.

I just don't push them down any tighter than I want them to be. Not much of a trick.

I know one that would fit i don't care for hard plastic though. Pentax pcf II porro's, they are one piece and plastic! Yeh not much of a trick i don't care for the rain guard jutting out above the ep! Replaced strap just trying to come up with something a little more functional for the rainguard!? I really like the glass and don't see me getting rid of them so something long term is what i'm after. It isn't so much the occulars it's the size of the eyecups!!! Bryce...

Bryce,
Frank D measured the Prime eye cups at 45 or 46 mm. I just measured the inside diameter of the rainguard on the 7x42 EDG II at 47.50 mm. I'm not sure if you can get them from Nikon but it might work on the Prime.
Tom

I got a set of Nikon EDG winged eye cups from Jerry (ND Hunter) they work to cure the eye relief issue I had with the 7x43 ZEN ED 3. They are precise fit over the ZEN ED 3 eye cups, but the Primes are bigger than that. If brownpelican's eye guard suggetsion is for a rainguard cover that will fit over those, they might work, but the EDG winged eye cups have their own built in sort of ocular covers.

Tom,much appreciated will look into that. Thanks, Bryce...

Bryce:
How about getting the rainguard for the Nikon SE. Universal large fit,
and not tight.
I bought several of these from Nikon, I can't recall the price, but they were under $5.00. Nikon service center, Parts Dept.

Jerry

Bryce:
How about getting the rainguard for the Nikon SE. Universal large fit,
and not tight.
I bought several of these from Nikon, I can't recall the price, but they were under $5.00. Nikon service center, Parts Dept.

Jerry

Jerry, i will pull mine out it's still in the box and see if it works, Bryce...

I got a set of Nikon EDG winged eye cups from Jerry (ND Hunter) they work to cure the eye relief issue I had with the 7x43 ZEN ED 3. They are precise fit over the ZEN ED 3 eye cups, but the Primes are bigger than that. If brownpelican's eye guard suggetsion is for a rainguard cover that will fit over those, they might work, but the EDG winged eye cups have their own built in sort of ocular covers.

Steve,
I apologize if I've misread your post. I wear glasses when using bins so I've never used the winged eye cups supplied with the EDG. I was suggesting that the 7x42 EDG rainguard would possibly fit directly over the Prime eye cups given the rainguards 47.50 inside diameter.

Speaking of the EDG's winged eye cups, I have two pair from the 8x32 EDG that I would gladly send to anyone interested (no charge). I tried them on my 8x43 Zen ED3 and they fit very nicely.
Tom

Steve,
I apologize if I've misread your post. I wear glasses when using bins so I've never used the winged eye cups supplied with the EDG. I was suggesting that the 7x42 EDG rainguard would possibly fit directly over the Prime eye cups given the rainguards 47.50 inside diameter.

Speaking of the EDG's winged eye cups, I have two pair from the 8x32 EDG that I would gladly send to anyone interested (no charge). I tried them on my 8x43 Zen ED3 and they fit very nicely.
Tom

I guess my not too well explained point was that if the EDG winged eye cups fit the EDG and the ED 3 that the eye cups of the EDG and the ED 3 therefore are the same size. The Prime is quite obviously larger in diameter than the ED 3, and presumably the EDG. It seems to follow that the EDG rainguard would not fit the Prime because it would be too small. But I've not seen an EDG rainguard, so you may be right ;) I have no idea how tight the EDG rainguard fits the EDG eye cup. I'll have to go measure the Prime again because the measurement escapes me at the moment.

The EDG winged eye shield does not even come close to fitting on the Prime.

I'd be intersted in those winged eye shields, keep you eye on your PM box

Last edited:
If you find the Prime rainguards too tight, you can loosen them up gradually, a little each day, over time.

Just turn the rainguard eyecups inside-out. Manually stretch them a bit around the perimeter. Leave them inside-out overnight. Repeat as needed/desired.

This should work with any high-quality rubber rainguard - don't try it with the hard plastic ones LOL! Over several nights my Prime rainguards have gradually, a fraction of a millimeter at a time, loosened up to where they now fit just right (yes, before they were a bit too tight!). I also did this with a pair of Vortex compact rainguards so they now fit my Swaro 10x32s, replacing the crappy plastic rainguard that Swaro supplies.

Simple and permanent.
Just put a suitable round object in the rainguard and boil them for a while.
Take out the object after cool down completely.
I adjusted all rainguards which I dislike the fitting. It works.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back