• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Reykjavic by public transport (1 Viewer)

turkish van

Number 1 celebrity badger
In a couple of weeks I'll be heading to Reykjavic for 8 days. I'm meeting a non-birdy friend and neither of us drive but would still like to get out the city and see the land. If anyone has any tips for special places that can be reached by public transport, or reasonably priced good tours, I would be very happy to hear them... Birds and other creatures an added bonus for me!

Thanks...

I spent a week in Iceland last year. Stunningly beautiful country. Didn't have any chance to see any birds, but plenty to do besides. Check out the Golden Circle. Plenty of bus tours when I was there, but that was July. Did find it a very expensive place to stay.

Take a look at

www.visiticeland.com/

for transport and ideas.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi, Iceland's beautiful in fall but quite hard to get around without a car. Pretty much all the birds that are around can be seen in the Reykjavik area - the walks around the harbour (Saebraut) and out to Seltjarnarnes (Eidsgrandi) are great for wintering sea birds and gulls. To get out into the country you could either take organized tours (listed on the visiticeland website), or take public buses. Straeto (http://www.straeto.is/english) services the capital region and has a few lines in the south (around Selfoss/Hveragerdi, plus one to Hofn). If there is no snow on Mt Esja, you can do a beautiful hike up there from the bus stop on the Akranes line. There is a company called Sterna (http://www.sterna.is/en) that can get you out to Akureyri and onwards to Siglufjordur. Akureyri is a lovely town and you may be able to get tours to the Myvatn area over there. Siglufjordur is on the Trollaskagi peninsula - remote but stunning landscapes, and I bet a great spot to view the northern lights. The main bus company is Reykjavik Excursions (http://www.re.is/IcelandOnYourOwn), who do a range of tours (Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle). They also have bus lines along the south coast, so with a bit of planning you could visit the lovely Vik area or Skaftafell NP and Jokulsarlon. Most hotels and youth hostels should be open and will probably have OK off-season rates. A final tip: you could head out to the Vestman islands by flight or ferry and spend a night there. Great place and well off the beaten track (mind you, everything is if you go this time of year).
Hope this helps, let me know if you have more specific questions, and have a great trip!

N

Oh don't expect too many creatures - the whales are out at sea and on land the best you'll see is an Arctic fox.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back