• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need a birdpal in western cape in november (1 Viewer)

susan dodsworth

Hi South Africa Forum,

Thanks Dave,

My husband and I are coming to Cape Town to see as much as we can over three weeks nearly. We are hiring a car and plan to spend a few days in Cape town visiting the various areas for birding botanic gardens the peninsula and the water treatment works etc and would like to hire a guide for maybe three days so we can get a feel for the birds in the area. maybe take a boat trip etc. Then we plan to head off around western cape, karoo and mountains and maybe back along the garden route ish.

Not sure about how many times we will need a guide open to suggestions. we like walking and can walk up to 14 miles a day. Not manic birders but very keen, my husband has a list but I like to see whatever is around. How much is a guide a day and are there any free to take some willing tourist around your lovely country. We love the mountains.

Mark and Sue

birdpal in South Africa from 14th November onwards

Forgot to mention, we havnt been to South Africa before and would like to see as much as we can of your country but dont want to wear ourselves out. We can self guide but we are rubbish at it, but we dont need a proffessional, anyone who can identify the birds will do. An amateur enthusiast like us. Do we need a four x four or will a normal hire car do.

Thanks

Sue and Mark

Forgot to mention, we havnt been to South Africa before and would like to see as much as we can of your country but dont want to wear ourselves out. We can self guide but we are rubbish at it, but we dont need a proffessional, anyone who can identify the birds will do. An amateur enthusiast like us. Do we need a four x four or will a normal hire car do.

Thanks

Sue and Mark

Hi, Sue,
Could I suggest this website:

http://www.hardaker.co.za/

Trevor Hardaker is a Cape resident, and has his finger firmly on the ornithological pulse. I am sure he could advise you on any queries you might have, and as a bonus he organises offshore birding trips for albatrosses, petrels, shearwaters, and the like.
Cape roads are good - any wee car should do fine - except VW's, some of which have the horrifying habit of switching ON a very noisy fan after the engine has stopped, and scaring the living daylights out of any wild thing in the vicinity. Try sitting in a small VW in the midst of a herd of elephants when that happens.
Best wishes,
Dave

Dear Susan,

I am also visiting Cape Town this month, with my wife Susan (no connection I presume!).
This is my third visit, and I'm hoping to get my list well into the 200s.
Might I suggest an early trip to Kirstenbosch, an amazing botanical park at the foothills of Table Mountain. Apart from the beautiful location, you should get off to a good start and clock up about 40 species.
For water species, Rondvlei is good as it has hides, so you can tick things off at your leisure. Once you feel orientated, a must is Standfontein Sewage Works. Don't worry about smell, there is none, but you get amazing scenes of flamingos, pelicans, glossy and sacrad ibises flying with Table Mountain as a back-drop. You will definitely feel like you are in Africa by now!
I suggest a guide for Standfonteign, as there are so many new ticks to be had, its hard to keep up.
A trip to Boulders Beach to see penguins is a must, then on down to Cape Point.
Nest, a trip to Langebaan, an 1 1/2 up the west coast. You'll see lots of fybos birds that you won't find in Cape Town plus waders on the lagoon towards high tide. Lots of Curlew sandpipers and Marsh Sands, but don't expect to see Dunlin or Redshank.

If you were to pick 2 places for a guide, I would say Strandfonteign and Langebaan. Between them, you should get about 100 species in one day, easily.

When are you going? We're arriving on Friday 22nd. Maybe we could meet up?

Best Wishes,

Padraig

hi padraig that sounds fab.

we have done some research and have identified the places that you mention. we have hired a car and will be in the Langeban area when you arrive. Would lovwe to meet up. My email add is [email protected] if you want to contact us when you arrive. We will be around the weat coast and langeban area around this time then heading to cape town to fly back on the 30h.

regards Sue and Mark from York.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back