• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino viewers! (1 Viewer)

Steve Napier

I recently bought a pair of "Binomate" Binoviewers made by BC&F.
These work brilliantly with my little Televue 3" refractor and,I was wondering if anyone has experimented with combining a Binoviewer with a spotting scope?
The Binomate has a 1.25" barrel and accepts the same size eyepieces.
It must be stated that in order to see the full field,eyepieces of 20mm FL and less are required,larger eyepieces CAN be used its just that you wont see the full field.
I believe both Meade and Televue have reduced the price of their plossls.
Steve.

I have owned a binoviewer for quite a while, and have used it some for birds. While I certainly enjoy being able to use both eyes, I generally find I do not bring it along. I often observe from a fixed location, and probably should throw the binoviewer and the set of eyepieces I use with it in the car more often.

I suspect not a lot of birders are using these because the vaste majority of birders don't view with the sorts of scopes that can use one. Folks using the TeleVue and similar scopes are a distinct minority.

Clear skies, Alan

A binoviewer fits into the eyepiece holder on a telescope. It has a beam splitter that divides the beam from the telescope into two parts, so that you can have two eyepieces, one for each eye. They require a telescope that has a reasonable amount of in-focus as the eyepieces are moved outward from the normal focal plane (some have a built in barlow, which increases the effective focal length of the telescope, to help overcome this problem).

You lose some light in the beamsplitter, but we are wired for binocular vision, so our eye/brain pretty much makes up for the light loss. It is very comfortable to be able to use both eyes for viewing.

Clear skies, Alan

Hi Alan,
Good to see someone else binoviewing.
Its a great experience for anyone who has never tried it.
Hope you and,if you"re THE Alan French I hope Sue is keeping well too.
Best wishes
Steve.

Steve,

Sue is doing just fine thanks, but very busy. It's clear tonight and she's planning on being out all night observing. Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow.

Clear skies, Alan

Steve,

Thanks, and Sue says "thanks!" She loves observing and she loves writing about it, and I think it shows. She also has a column in their new Night Sky magazine.

You take care too, and good birding...

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back