• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Umbrella - any good ones? (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

I've not found an umbrella thread but maybe there is one!!

I'm after a fold away umbrella for foreign birding. I would like it to be high quality, fairly large diameter but be very compact when folded down. Strength in the wind is not a critical issue as wind should not be a problem. I'm in the UK so a UK source would be preferable but would go international for a good one.

Thanks for any advice on this rather obscure topic...

cheers, alan

I've bought one or two from outdoor shops (e.g. Blacks) that are very compact and easily carried in a large pocket or small rucksack. They're not particularly good for windy conditions but have been pretty effective in tropical downpours. I kept reasonably dry for a couple of hours under one in the Peruvian Amazon recently, although I wouldn't mind a slightly larger diameter one than what I have (being of relatively large diameter myself). I would just go along to an outdoor shop and see what they have - they're usually fairly inexpensive.

Andrew, Robert

Thanks for your inputs to this thread! I'll do some more research - its the combination of large diameter with compact, fold-up nature that is elusive. The £2 ones from Tesco / Asda are compact but not large enough for a Choco soaking!

cheers, alan

I got a strong lightweight travel umbrella online from Rohan UK for £20. It's not collapsible but well made, strong (windproof) and lightweight and fits in a suitcase because it's missing the point and hook. Didn't think much of their clothes but the umbrella was a good buy for the tropics and even the mountains, and has never come close to flipping inside out, which is always a problem with those tiny ones.

The Snowpeak UL umbrella is the smallest, lightest 8-ribbed umbrella I know of with a 1 meter diameter canopy. The ribs are made from carbon fiber too so it handles wind better than most of its peers.

Lightweight Brolly....

There is the GoLite brand, who make an excellent lightweight brolly, had mine for years. Until my son left it in the cinema one rainy afternoon. Another brand is MontBell. The ultra light weight camping shops online sell them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back