• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jordan birding (1 Viewer)

Ian_C

I'm pretty sure there must be someone out there who has visited Jordan on holiday, either for the birding or just as a visitor with an interest in the birds. If so have you got a list? is there a list of the birds one may expect to see? i'm off there for a holiday in January - escaping the English weather for a bit - and will take my bins and a good bird book, I've got Porter, Christensenn, and Schiermacker-Hansen's Field Guide to Birds of the Middle East but of course it covers all of the Middle East and I'd need to wade through it all to pick out the possible sightings. So if anyone can help I'd be most gratefull. Thanks in anticipation

Yes, spent plenty of time there and have led a few tours for Naturetrek in recent years. I wonderful place and one of the best places in the WP to find your own birds. Check out Ian Andrews "Birding in Jordan" site and also the Naturetrek site and navigate to Jordan trips. There are/were trip reports there. I worte a piece for Fatbirder too so check out the Jordan page for an overview.

Just to add that I reckon you're going to have an excellant time - travelled through Jordan some years back en route to Africa on an overland trip I was making. Birding at even the classic 'tourist' sites was very good, especially at Wadi Rhum (Rum?) and, lesser so, at Petra. It was a late December trip and I remember getting most of the good larks at Wadi Rhum, along with Sinai Rosefinch (which were very common) and Tristram's Grackle, etc etc. Get the reports outlined in earlier posts, don't think you can go wrong :)

Thanks to you all, I'm sure I'll be able to find something out of your suggestions.

We are going to both Petra & Wadi Rhum so will be retracing some steps a bit. We're really looking forward to it already.

Thanks again.

Ian

Jules Sykes said:
Hi
If you want to send me a private e-mail ([email protected]) I will give you an e-mail address of friend of mine that spent 6 weeks there a couple of years ago. He had a fantastic time and ended up finding one or two birds new to the country.

Thanks for that Jules, I'm off to Portugal in the morning for a week so will get back to you when I return.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back