• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 razor hd (1 Viewer)

CCD3

Does any one have any review or input on the new 10x razor hd and how do they compare to victory fl? Primary use is hunting. Thank you.

Since no one else has chimed in I'll mention a few tentative impressions. I was able to compare the 8x42 directly to the Viper for a few minutes. I also tried the FL again the same afternoon, but can't offer a direct comparison.

The Razor HD was very sharp, equal to the best IMO. Significantly better than the Viper HD which I would already rate highly. The colour balance appeared close to neutral with a vibrancy I'd perhaps compare to the Swaro EL SV. The colour rendition of the FL by comparison in the light conditions I found a little muted, but then I suspect it's designed to yield better colour contrast in the extreme light conditions of dawn or dusk. Perhaps others can comment. I know nothing about hunting.

Ergonomically the Razor HD felt a lot smaller and lighter than the FL and I don't recall anything negative about the handling and the ER was fine with my glasses. The FOV was certainly narrower, and possibly flatter than the FL but did not seem at all confined. All in all I liked it. I did not try the 10x42 though.

David

Last edited:
Does any one have any review or input on the new 10x razor hd and how do they compare to victory fl? Primary use is hunting. Thank you.

I own a New Razor HD 10x42, but yet to have enough time to test them and no FL in hand for comparison.

First impression :
They are surely a top glass optically and beautifully made, but some might dislike the body colors combination. Light and very balance to hold. Wide FOV, bright, sharp to the edge, neutral color and no CA detected.

Will spend some more time on them and try to post a review later.

Andy

Thanks for the link. Not entirely sure this is for the 2012 Razor HD, as the "mega comparative" date shown on the webpage is "July 1st, 2011", and so would refer to the old open bridge model.

Probably just as well, as it's daylight to the alpha's. Hopefully the new 2012 model fares much, much better, considering the not inconsequential ask.

Chosun :gh:

CCD3 . - I'm a hunter too ..... I'm hunting for a "trophy-class" 10x bino!

Andy, . I'm sure there's much interest in your thoughts of the Vortex Razor HD 10x42! with its near as dammit extra wide field 6.9° FOV .....

When you've had a bit more time to get acquainted with your new love, I'd be very interested in whether this new 2012 model is up to 'alpha' standard (the old model didn't seem to fare too well judging by the binomania link above in post#4).

Particularly how the sharpness, brightness, dof, CA, contrast, glare control, and focus precision compare, just to name a few!

Can you let us know what the focus direction to infinity is?

Also what are the eyecups like (particularly how the, recess to the lens, eats into the ER)? Any chance of a description /measurement, and/or photo of these?

Apart from the quality of the 'transparency' of the centre view, and sweet spot size, the big interest around these bins will be what are the distortion, and FOV characteristics like? Henry Link made a great post to help anyone easily quantify this aspect (minus the bunkum!) - check here: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2529978&postcount=81

Look forward to your thoughts when you're ready .....

Chosun :gh:

For the record I compared the new Vortex Razor HD and the new Zeiss Conquest HD side by side and to my eyes the Zeiss won hands down. They were brighter, sharper and had much better color rendition. The owner of the store thought the same. The Zeiss were less expensive too boot! Both glasses were the 10x42 BTW. Used the Zeiss glasses over the last week on vacation and could not be happier with how they performed!

Last edited:
For the record I compared the new Vortex Razor HD and the new Zeiss Conquest HD side by side and to my eyes the Zeiss won hands down. They were brighter, sharper and had much better color rendition. The owner of the store thought the same. The Zeiss were less expensive too boot! Both glasses were the 10x42 BTW. Used the Zeiss glasses over the last week on vacation and could not be happier with how they performed!

Congratulations on the new toy. :t:

Must admit I really liked the Conquest HD 8x32 when I tried them. Didn't compare them directly with the Razor HD, but the latter were incredibly sharp. Significantly better than the Viper HD, Talon HD and Meopta Meostar I did try alongside. Hard to believe the Zeiss could be sharper still, but I definitely liked it better overall.

Enjoy!

David

Last edited:

I have no chance to look thru a Conquest HD. If your statment was valid, these Zeiss should be super-sharp and mega VFM.

I guess if the body and signs of Razor were anonymous, someone might mistaken them as a new SW. Yes, they are of that good to me, but of course liking of individual binos are absolutely personal preference.

Andy

Since no one else has chimed in I'll mention a few tentative impressions. I was able to compare the 8x42 directly to the Viper for a few minutes. I also tried the FL again the same afternoon, but can't offer a direct comparison.

The Razor HD was very sharp, equal to the best IMO. Significantly better than the Viper HD which I would already rate highly. The colour balance appeared close to neutral with a vibrancy I'd perhaps compare to the Swaro EL SV. The colour rendition of the FL by comparison in the light conditions I found a little muted, but then I suspect it's designed to yield better colour contrast in the extreme light conditions of dawn or dusk. Perhaps others can comment. I know nothing about hunting.

Ergonomically the Razor HD felt a lot smaller and lighter than the FL and I don't recall anything negative about the handling and the ER was fine with my glasses. The FOV was certainly narrower, and possibly flatter than the FL but did not seem at all confined. All in all I liked it. I did not try the 10x42 though.

David

Hi David,

It's true that the 8x42 FOV of 388/1000 is average, but the 10x42 FOV of 362/1000 combined with the flat fielder is no joke.

Andy

Hi Guys, I have not tried the 10x42 Razor but I have been using the 8x version for quite a few months now and to say that I am impressed is a big understatement.

They are as good as anything I have ever used, definitely the best bin I used this year and in my opinion match any of the so called "alphas"

I won't go on too much detail in this post as I will just be repeating myself as I have written a full review which you can read here:

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vortex8x42RazorHD-104.htm

I have the new Razor 10x42 HD and I also have the 10x42 Viper HD binoculars.

I am shocked at how much better the Razors are over the Vipers. I feel strongly the new Razors are on par with the Euro optics. The build quality is fantastic and they are very lightweight and easy to hold.

I have the new Razor 10x42 HD and I also have the 10x42 Viper HD binoculars.

I am shocked at how much better the Razors are over the Vipers. I feel strongly the new Razors are on par with the Euro optics. The build quality is fantastic and they are very lightweight and easy to hold.

Good to hear from a happy user.

Tell us more how your Razor compares to what Euro. binoculars ?

Jerry

Mapleton:

Glad to hear that the new 10x42 Razor HD is a winner. There have been a number of conflicting reports on the 8x42 Razor HD. I found the 8x42 Razor HD to be rather disappointing. It's a very good (!) handling binocular, but the optics did disappoint. I wonder if there were quality control issues on the 8x? It seems as though the 10x has been uniformly - well received.

bearclawthedonut

Bearclaw,

Was it the 29.5oz dual hinge, or the current 24.2oz single hinge version you tried. I tried the former, but didn't find it remarkable, but I thought the optics on the latter were very, very sharp!

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexrazorhd8x42
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexrazorhd8x42_2012model

David

David:

It was a brand spanking new single hinge Razor HD 8x42. Handling was very, very good. Optics were not much better than the new Viper HD - to my eyes. Thus, my wondering about QC?

bearclawthedonut

Or maybe the Viper 8x42 HD is already very, very good? When I compare my son's 8x32 non-HD Viper to alpha bins, the alphas are better, but *much* better? Only one :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back