• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Epl5 (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hallo all

i have almost made up my mind and put it on my shopping cart, love these point in it:

1- tilted screen, i will be using only the live view, and with our very bright days, this is very important.

2- better and faster Auto focusing, even compared to the E5 as they claim.

3- the fact that its IBIS is very much improved that (to there claims) beat the OIS of the Lumix zoom lenses.

i will be using it mainly with the Lumix 100-300mm, which focuses really fast with the my EPL1 (fast means compared to the MF i mainly do with he Bigma :-O).

but will the IBIS works good when using the Bigma, wonder if it is necessary since i only use it on a tripod, or supported on a bean bag in the car window.

any input about the EPL5 or any advise will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Personally, I would sit back and wait just a little bit, until production level cameras have been reviewed by reputable reviewers such as DPReview. One reason to do so is the reports that the EPL5 is completely without low-pass filter (anti-aliasing filter) http://www.43rumors.com/page/3/. This might be OK for most uses, but will it also work for say feather details?

Additionally, it might become a little cheaper once the hype and the early adopters have been satisfied ;)

Niels

The intent is to increase IQ, but if it will turn out to be a disadvantage in any specific use, then I think feather detail will be the use where it could be a disadvantage.

Niels

This review appears to be quite thorough and includes a bird!

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-pen-lite-e-pl5-1093255/review/page:4#articleContent

No obvious moire in any of the tests that I can see - the E-5 and OM-D have reduced anti-aliasing optical filtering, relying on digital processing and I would expect the E-PL5 to be at least as good.

I would wait on the prices, but if it is anything like the OM-D, I am still waiting for them to drop significantly many months after release....

You may have to wait some time for DPReview as they have been somewhat slow in getting round to Olympus cameras in the past (relatively quick with the OM-D though)

Last edited:
It seems that modern cameras have a very light low-pass filter to begin with, so removing it makes little difference.

Anyway Ammadoux, belated Blessed Eid-Ul-Adha!

thanks so much for the input you really cooled me down, i was really excited about it, guess the EPL1 will stick with me for a few more months. but then maybe some new models will be released and i will be more confused.

once again thanks so much.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back