• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Europe trip August 24-Sept. 4 (1 Viewer)

BarbaraM

Hi - I've attached the list of places visited and birds seen during my all too brief visit to Amsterdam from August 24-29 and London from Aug. 30 to September 4 this year (about 6 partial days spent birding). Despite everyone telling me it was a terrible time of year for birding I had a great time, met wonderful helpful bird lovers and saw some great birds. I used the Birdingpal list to find helpful locals as well as just general googling to figure out places to go on my own. Barbara

Attachments

• europe2004.doc
    27 KB · Views: 231
Hi Barbara

It seems like you got a good introduction to the birds of that area of Europe on your trip. And if you're birding in a place for the first time, there's no such thing as "a terrible time of the year to go birding." I heard the same from the locals on my first birding trip to the Netherlands (mid July) and I had a great time too. You even managed to see two species that this European birder has never seen, Goshawk and Caspian Tern.

E

Edward said:
Hi Barbara

It seems like you got a good introduction to the birds of that area of Europe on your trip. And if you're birding in a place for the first time, there's no such thing as "a terrible time of the year to go birding." I heard the same from the locals on my first birding trip to the Netherlands (mid July) and I had a great time too. You even managed to see two species that this European birder has never seen, Goshawk and Caspian Tern.

E

Thanks - I hope my message didn't imply that I felt the birding was terrible - for me it was great. I did feel like I got a good intro to many common birds, as well as some more rare. The most amazing point was at Nardermeer where we saw all those raptors at the same time! Also nice to see some that I know from home in new areas (Great Egret, Moorhen, Coot, Caspian Tern, Mallard). Missing sight of the Green Woodpcker was the main "hole" in my trip! Barbara

BarbaraM said:
Also nice to see some that I know from home in new areas (Great Egret, Moorhen, Coot, Caspian Tern, Mallard).

Hi Barbara-

Just to be pedantic, the coots you saw in Europe (Fulica atra) are not the same species you can see in California (Fulica americana).

Guess you can add another new bird to your list!

-Adam

Blackstart said:
Hi Barbara-

Just to be pedantic, the coots you saw in Europe (Fulica atra) are not the same species you can see in California (Fulica americana).

Guess you can add another new bird to your list!

-Adam

Thanks for that reminder - it's a good argument for keeping a life list (which I haven't so far. I knew when I was there that the coots were a different species... forgot when I was reviewing the list. They look quite different. I understand there is some discussion as to whether the Great Egret seen in Europe is the same as in N. America. Also my Dutch connection says Pied and White Wagtails are separate species but I was told in London they were the same.

Update: It's a Chilean Flamingo and still at Durgerdam. Some of the birds listed as seen at Barnes Wetland Centre were seen on the entry road past the entrance to Barnes. Barbara

BarbaraM said:
Also my Dutch connection says Pied and White Wagtails are separate species but I was told in London they were the same.

different races of the same bird. Pleased you enjoyed your trip.

Green woodpeckers

Hi Barbara,
I think you were very unlucky not to have seen Green Woodpeckers at several of the sites you visited especially Chobham Common. I was there a couple of times close to when you visited and saw them. Also that time of year is good for Woodcock and Nightjar at Chobham, again I saw several this year.

Regards,
Keith (Keithec)

Keithec said:
Hi Barbara,
I think you were very unlucky not to have seen Green Woodpeckers at several of the sites you visited especially Chobham Common. I was there a couple of times close to when you visited and saw them. Also that time of year is good for Woodcock and Nightjar at Chobham, again I saw several this year.

Regards,
Keith (Keithec)

Hi Keith - it felt like bad luck - jinxed perhaps by the Dutch birder who, upon hearing that I would be birding in/around London over the following week, said; "you'll certainly see Green Woodpeckers." He has birded pretty extensively in London and so had every expectation that I would see them... I did hear them in several locations - just no sight. I take it as a message that I must return! Barbara

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back