• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prevalence of over-wintering Finsch's Wheatear (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Hi

We found a splendid wintering male last week at Anarita Park, just wondered how many are thought to over-winter, as I suggested to a birder that no more than a handful did.

Can anyone clarify this?

Hello wolfbirder
cyprus bird report 2010 says a localised winter visitor in small numbers.males appear to outnumber females to a considerable degree.i have found Kidasi is the easiest place to see Finschs,but they flush at approx at 40mtrs.incidentally, there ia awalk on saturday 8th december based at Kidasi led by by bird recorder Colin Richardson.with finschs the target bird

Hello wolfbirder
cyprus bird report 2010 says a localised winter visitor in small numbers.males appear to outnumber females to a considerable degree.i have found Kidasi is the easiest place to see Finschs,but they flush at approx at 40mtrs.incidentally, there ia awalk on saturday 8th december based at Kidasi led by by bird recorder Colin Richardson.with finschs the target bird

Thanks for that. I suspect there are more than the "handful" I suggested, though probably only a handful are reported/found.

2 males today at Anarita Park (thanks for the lead Nick)!

After chasing off the intruder, my original bird landed only several meters away from where I was standing - awesome!!!

Last edited:
2 males today at Anarita Park (thanks for the lead Nick)!

After chasing off the intruder, my original bird landed only several meters away from where I was standing - awesome!!!

Neil you still did well to find it (edit - them) in such a huge place as Anarita Park, from the little detail provided. They do show well and look virtually white and black, absolute stunners! Definitely my bird of the trip. :t:

Nick, although your directions are brief, the described double plateau area is quite obvious ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back