• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall LNR (1 Viewer)

yamyam

First visit today 23 species place looks promising has a new local patch
: - Canada geese, Black Headed Gull, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Mute Swan, Magpie, Wood Pigeon, Blackbird, Goosander, Little Grebe, Carrion Crow, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Song Thrush, Redwing, Bullfinch, Robin, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Grey Heron, Lesser Black Backed Gull.
Good Birding YamYam

Second visit today, hard work adding new birds to the patch list but I persisted adding Dunnock, Jay, Fieldfare, Greenfinch, Feral Pigeon, Wren and Chaffinch, also of interest Blackbird 50+, Little Grebe x4 and 3 female Goosander.
Good Birding YAMYAM

A quick visit today produced 3 patch ticks :- Collared Dove, Herring Gull & Great Black Backed Gull also seen Little Grebe x 2, Mallard x 34, Coot x 12, Moorhen x 9, Black Headed Gull x 400+, Mute Swan x 2 Grey Heron x1 Bird of the Day go’s too Goosander x10 birds, 4 male & 6 female I love Goosander since my first bird back in 1979 a female on Swan Pool in Sandwell Valley I never get bored of them.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Managed a three hour visit today 36 species seen with 8 editions to the list new birds being: - Starling x 40, Sparrowhawk, Redpoll, Siskin, Buzzard x 2, Mistle thrush x3, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Raven. Other highlights Goldfinch x 12, Goosander x 13 (3 male) Little grebe x 3, Grey Heron x 4 and a pair of Bullfinch. Met other Birder on the patch today ‘Ben’ he had seen a Kingfisher. (If you have time Ben could you post a list of birds you have seen at Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall cheers)
Good Birding YAMYAM

Can any one out there help me out with a record of Ruddy Shelduck. I was having a look at the list for the west midlands to see what else was possible at Bumble Hole when I came to Ruddy Shelduck I remembered seeing one at Warrens Hall but for the life of me I can’t remember when it was many thanks.
Good Birding YAMYAM

read your posts this morning and decide to give bumble hole a look.not been birding for long but loved this place got a good look at the 4 goosanders,little grebe and the kingfisher took along flight round the pool will be visiting again soon.did'nt see anything to add to your list on site but waxwings were on bobington way as you enter first tree on the left atleast 13 at 3.30 today.

I'd love to check this place out but not quite sure where about it is, does it come under the name of bumble hole on the maps? if so I know where it is. If someone could post back it would be much appreciated thanks
Sam

Hi Jimmyjynx I had 3 Waxwings on sight today (6/1/13) maybe they where part of your flock.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Hi Sam09 Bumble Hole is near to Netherton, But you can park in Warrens Hall and walk down to the Visiter centre There is car parking off the Dudley road (B4171).
Good Birding YAMYAM

Two hours on sight today with 3 patch ticks :- WAXWING x 3, KINGFISHER x1 and PIED WAGTAIL other highlights being Goosander 3male/4female, Little Grebe x 3, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Goldfinch x 20, Grey Heron x 1, Sparrowhawk x 1 and Canada Goose x 34.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Hi all I have at last found the record of Ruddy Shelduck after going threw my many note books the bird was present on the 21st Noveber 2003 (female).
Good Birding YAMYAM

A quick visit today on my way home from work produced one patch tick Rook x1 (Rooks seem to be moving away from traditional rural areas and into the urban areas more & more I have seen Rooks in West Bromwich Town centre, Dudley town centre and also in Oldbury is this the norm esle where?) also on sight Goosander x 5 (2 male), Grey Heron x3, Redwing x1! Long Tailed Tit x4, Goldfinch x20, Raven x2, Sparowhawk x1, Buzzard x1 and Great Spotted Woodpecker.
Good Birding YAMYAM

A nice crisp morning at Bumble Hole saw 3 patch ticks: - Stock Dove x1, Goldcrest x2 & Waterail (waterail being my 49th species) also seen Bullfinch x1, Chaffinch x4, Grey Heron x4, Lesser Black Back Gull x3, Great Spotted Woodpecker x2, Carrion Crow x10, Little Grebe x1, Starling x60, blackbird x17 and one female Goosander.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
I braved the snow and managed to get on sight for two hours today. Well worth it with my 50th species in the form of a WOODCOCK, flying over Bumble Hole Pool. Also seen Goosander x 4 male & 1 female, Kingfisher, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Heron x 5, Little Grebe, Herring Gull x 2, Lesser Black Back x 5, Black Headed x 90+, Canada Goose x 56, Mallard x 44, Moorhen x 12, Coot x 14 and Magpie x 20.
Good Birding YAMYAM

I had a go at putting together a species list for Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall. I went through all the West mids bird reports that mentioned Bumble Hole or Warrens Hall in the Gazetteer. With this list and the birds I have recorded the list comes too 74, (list to follow) when list is posted if anyone has any additions please let me know many Thanks.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
I would'nt say it was 'unusual' to see a Rook in any of the local town centres around the Black Country but i only ever see 1 poss 2 birds perching on a rooftop or a couple of birds overflying. I don't see any nesting individual birds starting a 'rookery'. By far the bulk of the birds i.e. 99.9% are still to be found nesting in small woods adjacent to agricultural land for feeding purposes.

Just my take on it....

Laurie:t:

The following is a list of the 74 birds that have been recorded at Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall. Birds I've seen are marked with an asterisk. There are some common birds missing from the list but I have left them out to keep the list accurate.
Good Birding YAMYAM

*Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Cormorant
*Grey Heron
*Mute Swan
*Canada Goose
*Ruddy Shelduck
Gadwall
*Mallard
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Goldeneye
*Goosander
Ruddy Duck
Goshawk
*Sparrowhawk
*Buzzard
Kestrel
*Water Rail
*Moorhen
*Coot
*Woodcock
Snipe
*Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
*Lesser Black-backed Gull.
*Herring Gull
*Great Black-backed Gull
Common Tern
*Feral Pigeon
*Stock Dove
*Woodpigeon
*Collared Dove
Swift
*Kingfisher
*Great Spotted Woodpecker
Swallow
House Martin
*Pied Wagtail
*Waxwing
*Wren
*Dunnock
*Robin
*Blackbird
*Fieldfare
*Song Thrush
*Redwing
*Mistle Thrush
Whitethroat
Garden Warbler
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler,
*Goldcrest
*Long-tailed Tit
*Blue Tit
*Great Tit
Treecreeper
*Jay
*Magpie
*Rook
*Carrion Crow
*Raven
*Starling
*House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
*Chaffinch
Brambling
*Greenfinch
*Goldfinch
*Siskin
*Lesser Redpoll
*Bullfinch
Reed Bunting

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back