• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

9x binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a better pair of bins sometime in the future. Currently I've got a choice between an old and heavy pair of Mirador 10x40 porro's , a pair of Opticron compacts (8x21) or an old pair of Russian 8x30 Porro's.

Whilst the compacts are fine as a carry everywhere pair I like the extra magnification of the 10x40's, but with a dodgy arm and shoulder find them too heavy for prolonged use. I was thinking a pair of around 9x36 roofs would probably be a good compromise between weight and magnification but 9x bins seem almost non existent apart from the Nikon travelight 9x25's.

Why don't manufacturer's produce 9x, and are 8.5's noticeably different from 8's?

Thanks Richard

too heavy to hold

Hello Richard. I think the lack of choice in the 9x size is a marketing decision. We are all switched on to 8x or 10x. Swift have made their 8.5 models for years which have an enviable reputation but otherwise I guess the makers just want volume sales not niche markets but there may be an answer for the weight of your Miradors. I know from experience that they are very good quality and it is possible to fit a tripod adapter and a pistol grip so you don't have to take the weight on your shoulders. I fitted an ex-mother-in-law's bino with an adapter and pistol-grip when her arthritus became to bad to hold a bino in the normal way. She can now tuck her elbows into her waist and have her hands at just-below-throat level with the bino at the right height to use. I could point you in the direction of an ex-demo B&L Custom 9x26 but it is one that I have for sale so I'll keep quiet. Richard
Richard D said:
I'm thinking of getting a better pair of bins sometime in the future. Currently I've got a choice between an old and heavy pair of Mirador 10x40 porro's , a pair of Opticron compacts (8x21) or an old pair of Russian 8x30 Porro's.

Whilst the compacts are fine as a carry everywhere pair I like the extra magnification of the 10x40's, but with a dodgy arm and shoulder find them too heavy for prolonged use. I was thinking a pair of around 9x36 roofs would probably be a good compromise between weight and magnification but 9x bins seem almost non existent apart from the Nikon travelight 9x25's.

Why don't manufacturer's produce 9x, and are 8.5's noticeably different from 8's?

Thanks Richard

Richard,

I've owned a Swift 8.5x44 roof (Model 828) for about eight months now. For a full-sized binocular it is pretty compact and fairly light. It's been excellent in terms of handling, great waterproofing, and being able to take a fair share of rough use. Their view is good (to my eyes) but my pair had some visual quirks I never got comfortable with (mostly the fact that the center of the view seemed to bulge out as I panned along any horizon). Check a user-friendly web site like Eagleoptics.com for comparative info on weights and sizes of many different brands. I'd recommend looking through a pair of the Swifts to see if you like the way they work with your eyes. By the way, Eagle Optics actually has a 9x32 waterproof model for $99.00, but the field of view is quite narrow.

I guess 8.5 is a perfect compromise between 7 and 10 power, but I'm not sure the difference between 8.5 and 8x would be particularly significant. I use 7, 8, 8.5 but have not yet found an excuse to get a 10x model (I'm more interested in some of the light weight spotting scopes).

If your arm bothers you consider a mid sized pair with a 32mm objective. There's a lot of competition in this range and many mid-priced waterproof roofs in 8x and 10x. Good luck!

Joe

Last edited:
I would love to see a 9x32 with a good fov. After a year or two, I realized I really can't hold 9x reverse porros very steady. Full size 10x is fine for me. I guess there are steadier hands out there.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Swaro 8.5x--not just Swift. Pretty close to 9x and a superb instrument.

Bill

Don't forget the Kowa XD 8.5x44 (Genesis) as it's as good as the Swift 820 and Swarovski EL, in some important aspects - sharpness, contrast, CA - even better.

In the late 1980's Swift Europe offered the SPWA 9x42 (porro). If you really want a full size 9 I'd recommend this one: superb resolution, very easy on the eyes (non-spectacled). Unfortunately they're rare.

Renze

Interestingly enough I own three bins in 9x, with only the Orions still in production:

MFR......... Model........ Pwr... Obj... FOV'...TFOV° .. AFOV° .. Ht....... W...... Wt oz... CF... ER... Exit P
Pentax.... UCF-Mini....... 9..... 21..... 330... 6.3...... 56.7...... 3.4... ...4.1.... 7.4........ 9.8... 12... 2.3
Leupold... Gold Ring IF... 9..... 35..... 382... 7.3...... 65.7...... 5.125... 6.5... 23.9.......................3.9
Orion...... MiniGiants...... 9..... 63..... 263... 5........ 45......... 9.5...... 8.1.... 42........ ........ 26... 7

I have found 9x to be my upper limit for hand held bins. The tiny Pentax are surprisingly easy to hold steady and provide very nice views in other than dim light. The monster Orions allow a purchase that makes them the rock steady champs among these 3. I do not like the small FOV but for astro use their light gathering makes up for it. The vintage Leupold porros have great optics and are among my most used bins.

All that said I must admit in all candor that in my sixth decade I'm finding the 6.5x and 7x so much more comfortable for extended use that its hard to ascribe a value that communicates well. Suffice it to say that there is much to be said for lower power bins for most viewing applications. Stability at low power provides much more detail than higher power with tiny jiggles :)

Last edited:
Doh - this thread is nearly 4 years old until it got resurrected yesterday!

Still we've all done it...

I wonder if Richard wants to sell his old Miradors.

Nev

Richard

Opticron did a lovely porro in monobloc construction 9 x 35 with a field of 7.3 up until a few years ago
I tracked one down and these are a lovely crisp wide view also quite light in weight to hold
The model is an opticron Minerva but they are rare

Regards
RichT

Hi Bob,

I'm curious about your Leupolds as I have a pair of Opticron 9x35 Elite (circa 1985) porros with almost identical specs. If yours Leupolds are around the same age as my Elites then it may well be the same bins sold under different brand names in the US & UK. My Elite's have rubber eycups and objective rims, black leatherette finish and a narrow focusing wheel - does that match up? Also, are comfortable to hold, have excellent optics with very good depth of field, and I love 'em to bits! |=)|

dan

Interestingly enough I own three bins in 9x, with only the Orions still in production:

MFR......... Model........ Pwr... Obj... FOV'...TFOV° .. AFOV° .. Ht....... W...... Wt oz... CF... ER... Exit P
Pentax.... UCF-Mini....... 9..... 21..... 330... 6.3...... 56.7...... 3.4... ...4.1.... 7.4........ 9.8... 12... 2.3
Leupold... Gold Ring IF... 9..... 35..... 382... 7.3...... 65.7...... 5.125... 6.5... 23.9.......................3.9
Orion...... MiniGiants...... 9..... 63..... 263... 5........ 45......... 9.5...... 8.1.... 42........ ........ 26... 7

I have found 9x to be my upper limit for hand held bins. The tiny Pentax are surprisingly easy to hold steady and provide very nice views in other than dim light. The monster Orions allow a purchase that makes them the rock steady champs among these 3. I do not like the small FOV but for astro use their light gathering makes up for it. The vintage Leupold porros have great optics and are among my most used bins.

All that said I must admit in all candor that in my sixth decade I'm finding the 6.5x and 7x so much more comfortable for extended use that its hard to ascribe a value that communicates well. Suffice it to say that there is much to be said for lower power bins for most viewing applications. Stability at low power provides much more detail than higher power with tiny jiggles :)

Richard

Opticron did a lovely porro in monobloc construction 9 x 35 with a field of 7.3 up until a few years ago
I tracked one down and these are a lovely crisp wide view also quite light in weight to hold
The model is an opticron Minerva but they are rare

Regards
RichT

RichT,

Noticed your post just after my query to Bob. (that'll teach me to read the full thread!) Your Minerva sounds very like my 20+ year old Opticron Elite - probably their follow up model.

dan

Last edited:
The 9x28mm sound good, but 9x32 would have been even better. And the fov is on the small side, same as Nikon ProStaff 9x25.

Hi Bob,

I'm curious about your Leupolds as I have a pair of Opticron 9x35 Elite (circa 1985) porros with almost identical specs. If yours Leupolds are around the same age as my Elites then it may well be the same bins sold under different brand names in the US & UK. My Elite's have rubber eycups and objective rims, black leatherette finish and a narrow focusing wheel - does that match up? Also, are comfortable to hold, have excellent optics with very good depth of field, and I love 'em to bits! |=)|

dan

Dan,

There is a lengthy thread in the Leupold bin forum here which discusses the history of the Leupold 9x IF porros. Note we're talking individual focus bins and since you mention a center focus wheel on yours they can't be the same design. But Bosch & Lomb made a center focus 9x35 around the same time frame. They have been held in high regard as well. Might want to find specs on them to see if there might be similarity.

My Leupolds are third from the right in this picture. Both oculars are click stop adjustable. The rain guard is a Minox.

Attachments

• binocs_updated.jpg
    binocs_updated.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 336
Eagle Optics lists 3 9x binoculars. Nikon's 9 x 25 Travelite and Prostar and the Pentax 9 x 28. The all have the same FOV. I've used both the Travelite and the Pentax. I liked them both. (I dropped the Travelite and knocked it out of collimation.) The Pentax ergo's are better IMO. Easier to hold and focus. Longer but less bulky. Waterproof, with better eye relief. Can't comment on relative sharpness (both are quite good) but, as I remember, the Nikon seemed to have a larger sweet spot. The Nikon's are reverse porro prisms and their prices are about 50% less for the Prostar and 70% less for the Travelite than the Pentax which is a phase coated, single hinge, roof prism.

Bob

Last edited:
Dan,

There is a lengthy thread in the Leupold bin forum here which discusses the history of the Leupold 9x IF porros. Note we're talking individual focus bins and since you mention a center focus wheel on yours they can't be the same design. But Bosch & Lomb made a center focus 9x35 around the same time frame. They have been held in high regard as well. Might want to find specs on them to see if there might be similarity.

My Leupolds are third from the right in this picture. Both oculars are click stop adjustable. The rain guard is a Minox.

Ah, wondered what the IF stood for. My Elite's must be rare as hens teeth as I've never come across another owner or found a jot of online info on them. I've googled for Bauch & Bomb 9x35's to find there was a 1950's model called the Zephyr but nothing on a 1980's model - will try again on a different search engine.

Thanks very much Bob
dan

Ah, wondered what the IF stood for. My Elite's must be rare as hens teeth as I've never come across another owner or found a jot of online info on them. I've googled for Bauch & Bomb 9x35's to find there was a 1950's model called the Zephyr but nothing on a 1980's model - will try again on a different search engine.

Thanks very much Bob
dan

Ouch! I stand corrected then as the Zephyr is what I was thinking of. But I'd thought it was a 70-80s model and not from the 50s. Oh well.... :(

Bob,

The B&L 9x35 Porro from the 80's was called Discoverer. Looked a lot like the Zephyr, but was made in Japan, fully multi-coated and had fold down rubber eyecups. MSRP in 1987 was $589.95, street price $279.00.

Another noteworthy 9x35 was the Nikon 9x35 A series. I never understood why Nikon didn't continue with that model in the E series since it's easy to make by combining the 7x35 E objective with the 8x30 E eyepiece. I made up a hybrid 9x35 E like that and a got a bonus 6x30 E by combining the left over parts. Nikon also made a rather poor, but relatively expensive ($300.00 street) 9x30 roof prism model in the 80's called the Execulite.

Henry

Thanks Henry! Your expertise in clarifying facts here is most appreciated. And I thought the 3 versions of the Leupold Gold Ring 9x35IF with no real model name change caused confusion :) Looks like B&L, inter alia, might easily trump Leupold!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back