• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boyton Marsh, Shingle Street & Wilford Bridge (1 Viewer)

Andy Thatcher

Had a little trek around some old haunts this morning with my Dad. First was a 15 minute drive to Boyton Marsh myself driving with Dad going on about what he had seen there over the last few weeks.

Strangely enough all I saw was a reed bunting, blue tit, couple of kestrels and a rook or two. Odd that the little egrets, hen harrier, assorted geese, jack snipe and merlin had all disapeared ! OK could have a fair bit to do with the fact that most of the pools where frozen but this kind of thing tends to happen when I go out with him.

Next stop was Shingle Street for the next species that much respected elder of my family promised, snow bunting. I have always been rather fond of Shingle Street and despite the biting wind there was plenty to see. Mixed flock of 200+ dark and light phase brent geese, 100+ curlew, 70+/- snipe, ringed plover, 60 fieldfare, 4 redwing, 5 meadow pipits, 300+ lapwing, the usual collection of gulls, grey heron, 8 redshank, and a flock of 400 starling. Oddly enough there was no sign of snow bunting. Starting to see a link ?

Whilst driving to the next area picked up a stonechat on Hollesley Common.

Off to the bridge over the Deben at Melton for a few waders that usually inhabit the area. For my delight and delectation I was told by a now more than chuckling father that again he had seen little egret in the area the day before yesterday and this was his "cert" place. Odd statement considering I had shown him it 10 years before and he wrote it of as being rather less than worthwhile but bless as the years go by....

5 redshank, green sandpiper a mute swan and no sign of little egret you maybe rather less than amazed at reading !

Lesson of the day beware birders offering gifts :bounce:

Nice tale Andy. Sounds like your father can talk the talk - but can he walk the walk! Get him a camera, provide the evidence and post it on the site!

Nice you had a good walk with your father but tell him to get a pair of good specs not the ones that let you see what you would like to see!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back