• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rfi (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

Never been to India before, but it's always been on my mind and now I have the chance to go for two to three weeks in January.
I've noticed that there are so many birding sites that it's really hard to sort out an itinerary. So I'd really appreciate some suggestions for where to go. I'm particularly interested in seeing the Cranes (not the Sarus which I've seen in Australia), Bustards and Floricans (not Houbara which I've seen in the Middle East), and species such as Ibisbill, Finfoot ... etc. It would also be great of course to pick up some endemics/specialties, particularly pheasants and the like. Other than that, a variety of species would be wonderful to see.

So basically I'd appreciate help on:

1 - Recommended sites to visit.
2 - Reasonably priced independent & competent local guides: how to go about contacting/hiring them.

Thank you o:D

For cranes and bustards you should consider the state of Gujarat for a week or more. And then maybe go to the Corbett/Nainital area for a week to have a chance of Ibisbill and loads of other foothill species.

Steve

Thank you Steve 8-P

I wonder if anyone can offer insight into my second question ?:smoke:

Also, how much do local guides typically charge per day ?. I've read wildly varying amounts from various websites !

For the Gujarat area you might try Jugal Tiwari who runs CEDO. He and his staff act as guides and know the area very well. He could arrange everything for you and has pleasant rooms - the only thing is that the food he provides is strictly vegetarian.

No idea how much he would charge.

Steve

Thanks again Steve, I have tried to contact Jugal Tiwari through the two email addresses listed on his website but to no avail. Strange days indeed !.

I may look elsewhere in Gujarat or even consider skipping it and focusing on other states, e.g. Rajasthan.

We are booked with Jugal for the first two weeks in March. However, we have travelled in India with Asian adventures and whilst they are a bit more expensive than Jugal are worth contacting. They own some of the lodges in Gujarat.

Thanks Jeanie :t:
I'll check out Asian Adventures if I fail ultimately to contact Jugal. It's really strange that no one from his "centre" has bothered to respond.. ah well B :)

By the way, I also forgot to ask about leeches. I absolutely detest those evil buggers 8-P, so my question is: are they all over India ? or is it possible to bird the sites/regions suggested kindly (above) by Steve without having the dreadful encounter with them ? ;)

The only place in India that I have encountered leeches was Assam. I would imagine that Gujarat would be too dry. Plenty of ticks in some of the camps in Goa and the odd rat munching on my clothes in UP.
BTW India can be very cold in the north in Jan.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeanie :king:
Music to my ears in fact 3:)
I was particularly concerned about Corbett NP. So I assume that you've been there and that it's not a problem there ?? :smoke:

I'm also likely to go to Nainital to search for some endemics there and pheasants, I suppose that it's a each free zone, right ?

We had a trip a couple of years ago and went with Asian adventures. Had to negotiate quite a bit re cost. Did Delhi, Corbet, Sattal, Binsar etc. No leeches. We went in March and it was still freezing cold in the hills.

This was our trip
March 01: Goa - Delhi

Meals: on own

Arrive Delhi from Goa (Flight detail required). You will be met and transferred to Hotel Sunstar Residency for overnight stay.

March 02: New Delhi – Corbett National Park.

Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner

After breakfast, drive to Corbett (7hrs). Afternoon birding at Kosi river. Overnight stay at Tiger Camp

March 03: Corbett National Park (Dhikala)

Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner

After breakfast, drive onward for Dhangarhi gate for entry to Dhikala tourism zone. Visit the Interpretation Centre. Jeep safari through the stately dense Sal jungle and the wildlife adventure of Corbett begins. Jeep Safari by the lower jungle track along the Ramganga River accompanied by an expert guide. A great opportunity for viewing wildlife, especially the tiger in its natural habitat. Cross the river at Gethia Rao Bridge for the Kanda Range, where Jim Corbett shot the famous Kanda man-eater. Arrive at the main tourist complex, Dhikala. Lunch and relax a bit in the serene afternoon visit to the grasslands & forested area for birding. Overnight stay at Dhikala Forest Lodge. Birding in the lower jungle track along the Ramganga river is very rewarding for water birds such as river lapwings, waders, mergansers and other waterfowl. While relaxing at the lodge or visiting the grasslands one can see long-tailed nightjar, jungle owlet, spot-bellied owl, common stonechat, black francolin, purple and crimson sunbird, golden-fronted & orange-bellied leafbird, black-shouldered kite, hen harrier, changeable hawk-eagle, chestnut-tailed starling etc.

March 04: Corbett National Park

Meals: breakfast, lunch & dinner

Morning elephant safari through the grasslands and dense forests. This is the best mode of transport for wildlife viewing. Return for breakfast and then spend time till lunch on a watchtower overlooking a water hole. Drive to Tiger Camp. Arrive at Tiger Camp for dinner & overnight stay. Some of the best birding areas of Dhikala are Sambhar Road and Khinanauli. One can expect to see great slaty woodpecker, great hornbill, puff-throated babbler, white-rumped shama, Pallas's fish eagle etc.

March 05 Corbett National Park

Full day birding walk at Kumeria. Return for lunch. One can look for black bulbul, brown-eared bulbul, brown fish owl, little & spotted forktail, yellow-bellied and white-browed fantail, crested laughing thrush, black-winged cuckoo shrike, little heron, wallcreeper, red-breasted parakeet, short-billed and long-tailed minivet, brown dipper, ashy-crowned sparrow lark etc. Afternoon birding at Kosi River. Overnight stay at Tiger camp.

March 06: Corbett National Park-Pangot

Morning drive to Corbett Falls stopping en route at Dabka causeway to look for ashy crowned sparrow lark. After birding at Corbett Falls continue to Pangot. Arrive for lunch. Overnight stay in a cottage at Jungle Lore Birding Lodge. Afternoon leisurely birding in and around the lodge.

One can see crested woodpeckers such as greater yellownape, scaly-breasted, speckled piculet etc. Large flocks of slaty-headed parakeets, numerous spotted and oriental turtle doves, grey bushchat, russet sparrow. Cuckoo: indian, oriental, large-hawk and eurasian. Large-billed crow, grey treepie, black-headed jay, maroon oriole, large cuckoo shrike, tits such as rufous-naped, black-throated & yellow-browed and smaller numbers of black-lored and green-backed. White-tailed nuthatches, chestnut bellied nuthatches and bar-tailed treecreeper.

March 07: Pangot

Full day birding at Cheena Peak, Kilbury & Timla Pani. Overnight at Jungle Lore Birding Lodge.

March 08 and 09 Pangot

Another day of birding at Pangot village, Baggar and Gughu Khan. These walks can be very rewarding. Overnight stay at the lodge. One can see crested serpent-eagle, mountain hawk-eagle, Woodpeckers such as brown-fronted, stripe-breasted, rufous-bellied etc. Thrushes such as dark-throated, mistle etc. Striated prinia can be see in the terraced fields. Warblers such as tickell's leaf-warbler, greenish, golden-spectacled, grey-hooded. Flycatchers such as Asian brown, rusty-tailed, ultramarine, verditer, tickell's blue, rufous-bellied Niltava etc., orange-flanked bush robin, blue-capped redstart. Laughingthrushes such as white-throated, striated & streaked, chestnut-crowned etc. Look for accentor, upland pipit, blue-winged minla, whiskered yuhina etc.

March 10 Pangot-Binsar

Drive to Binsar (4 hours) in the morning. Birding along the way. Birding around Binsar. Overnight stay in a camp / guest house.

The entire drive is through the forested area of Cheena Peak Range via Snow View Point and Kilbury. One can see a variety of Himalayan species along the way such as lammergeier, Himalayan griffon, blue-winged minla, spotted & slaty-backed forktail, rufous-bellied woodpecker, rufous-bellied niltava, khalij pheasant, variety of thrushes etc. More than 200 species have been recorded at Pangot and surrounding areas. The numerous perennial & seasonal creeks are home to an amazing variety of flora and fauna including the Leopard, yellow-throated Himalayan martin, Himalayan Palm Civet, ghoral, barking deer, sambhar, Red Fox etc.

March 11 and 12 Binsar

Meals: breakfast, lunch and Dinner

Full day birding with a guide.

March 13: Binsar – Sattal

Drive to Sattal (4 Hrs) after breakfast

Expect to see Himalayan Griffon, Crested Serpent Eagle, Common Kestrel, Eurasian Collared Dove, Wedge-tailed Green Pigeon, Slaty-headed Parakeet, Oriental Cuckoo, Asian-barred Owlet, Great Barbet, Blue-throated Barbet,
Grey-headed Woodpecker, Brown-fronted Woodpecker, Rufous-bellied Woodpecker, Himalayan Woodpecker, Black -headed Jay, Red-billed Blue Magpie

March 14: Sattal

Full day birding with a guide. One can see a variety of Himalayan species such as red-breasted accentor, chestnut-headed tesia, greater & lesser yellow-naped woodpecker,

blue-throated barbet, rufous-chinned laughing thrush, black bulbul, dark-throated thrush etc. Transfer to Lal Kuan at 1600 hours.

March 15: Sat Tal - Delhi

Full day birding with a guide. Transfere to Kathgodam to connect overnight train to Delhi. A/c 2 tier sleeper.

March 16: Delhi-National Chambal Sanctuary

Meals: Lunch and dinner

Arrive at Delhi at 5am and you are met and transferred to Chambal. Transfer to Chambal early in the morning (5-hour drive). Afternoon boat cruise with a guide to see Indian skimmer, black-bellied tern, flocks of migratory waterfowl, cranes such as common, demoiselle and sarus; fish-eating crocodile and marsh mugger; Gangetic dolphin; turtles etc. Overnight stay at Chambal Safari Lodge.

March 17: National Chambal Sanctuary-Agra-Bharatpur

Meals: Breakfast and dinner

Morning transfer to agra (1hr) and visit to the Taj Mahal. Transfer from Agra to Bharatpur (1½ hours), arriving Bharatpur by noon. Afternoon birding in the wetlands of Bharatpur. Overnight in the hotel.

March 18 & 19 Bharatpur

Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner

Full days of birding in Keoladeo Ghana National Park on foot and cycle rickshaws with a birding guide.

The birds to expect are Indian Courser, Sarus Crane, Dusky eagle Owl, Large tailed Nightjars, Common Pochard, Great white Pelican, Greylag and Bar headed Goose

March 20: Bharatpur-Delhi

Meals: Breakfast and lunch

Drive to Delhi in the afternoon. (4 hours). Arrive Delhi and check into hotel.

March 21: Delhi – Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary

Meals: breakfast

Full day birding at Sultanpur National Park.

You can expect to see Indian Courser, Chestnut bellied Sandgrouse, Indian Bushlark, Sarus Crane

March 22: Delhi

Meals: Breakfast.

Early morning transfer to airport to connect flight back to home.

Great information, cheers jeanie o:D. It's a treasure in fact for the first time visitor,

I wonder if it can be arranged/done solo ?. What are your thoughts (in hindsight) Jeanie ?. I say this in light of the fact that most (if not all) of the places mentioned are well known and easy enough to contact and make reservations thereof !.

There still remains the issue of the bird guide, so I'm also making the assumption that as those are well known birding places, that it should be relatively straightforward to source a local bird guide once there, right ?

This thread is getting better and better ;)

Loads of people do the trip by themselves. I would say that speaking as a person who loves India and has been going for many years, I prefer to arrange before hand. You get picked up by your car with driver and either have a bird guide with you or the company organises local guides. If you contact a few companies, say what accommodation you need, simple, clean etc, and then compare prices then get back to them and negotiate, on the whole it may be a bit more than doing it your self but at least you know it is organised. Particularly if you have never been to India before.
I have found that travelling in the south, Kerala, is cheaper and you are not pestered as much. The northern trip was wonderful but there was a feeling that the local guides expected much more of a tip than were were used to paying.
However, my husband and I are in our 60's. If you are younger and an experienced traveller then you will save more money if willing to rough it. Not sure all places will have good local guides.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back