• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turnstone at Scarborough (1 Viewer)

Dave Adshead

How much!
A couple of months ago I moved over to digital and I submit this image of a Turnstone on the beach adjacent to the Lifeboat slipway at Scarborough.

Exposure details ISO 200, 1/2500 at f5.6.

I've not manipulated it other than unsharp mask in Photoshop Elements 2,
your constructive critique would be welcome.
Digital is completely new to me if I,ve not attached the file correctly I,m sorry, fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• Turnstone silhouette 1 .jpg
    Turnstone silhouette 1 .jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 288
Dave Adshead said:
A couple of months ago I moved over to digital and I submit this image of a Turnstone on the beach adjacent to the Lifeboat slipway at Scarborough.

Exposure details ISO 200, 1/2500 at f5.6.

I've not manipulated it other than unsharp mask in Photoshop Elements 2,
your constructive critique would be welcome.
Digital is completely new to me if I,ve not attached the file correctly I,m sorry, fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Dave
My experience is in general photography rather than birds, but I wonder if you were using automatic exposure? The background looks well exposed but the bird itself is a little under-exposed I would say if we're being critical. This tends to happen when shooting against the light with that sort of background.

I guess the answer would be to open up a stop, which would bring out the colours and markings on the bird but slightly burn out everything else, so reducing the pictorial effect of the shot. It's a delicate balance.

Hi Dave,
A very nice silhouette and a sharp, frozen action. I like the effect of the underexposed bird and the trails in the water. You could even emphasize this by leaving out a couple of cm's from the right and top. I think you could play with PS Elements and try to brighten just the turnstone and also to make it a completely black silhouette. These could work for different purposes - and this is just the fun of the digital. :t:

Ilkka

Like very much. Wonder whether a full reflection would have made better or worse?
Re. post processing, 'cos you've got one of them fancy cameras with RAW |:$| I expect there is a fair bit of detail in the bird if you want to use it. Tried Ilkka's suggestion to emphasise the silhouette; did crop as suggested and ran the free Photoshop plugin "VirtualPhotographer" from http://www.optikvervelabs.com/ Played with the various options adding grain, tinting etc etc. Here’s the "Hollywood" B&W effect on it :

Attachments

• bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 222
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back