• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 30xW eyepiece (1 Viewer)

SueRob

Has anyone tried out the new 30xW eyepiece that's on the market? I'm currently using the old type on my TSN 663 and am trying to decide whether to upgrade.
The Kowa publicity suggests the new eyepiece is far superior to its predecessor, but then I guess they would say that!
I intend comparing on Saturday when I have the chance to get to a scope retailer but obviously any experiences would be worth reading before I check it out myself. Thanks.
Sue

Blincodave said:
Sue,

Any feedback on your trialing of the new eyepiece?

I have an 822 with a 20-60 zoom I think the 30w is a good move, the light is better and larger field of view good for digi-scoping. Go for it. SUE
B :)

Thank you both for your responses. I checked out the new 30xW eyepiece and was amazed at the improvement. My old eyepiece had a faint yellow caste which just wasn't apparent at all with the new one. Also, the overall brightness and clarity of the new eyepiece was so vastly better than my existing 30xW that I was impressed enough to say "yes" after just a few minutes of checking it over.
THEN came the spanner in the works...I was persuaded to try a nearly-new Leica APO-Televid 62 with 32xW. *groan* Whilst the brightness of the Kowa seemed almost comparable with the Leica the clarity was not nearly as good with the Kowa showing noticeable fringeing. It was an unfair contest really, and having just enough "spare" (yeah, right!) funds to upgrade to the super Leica meant I bade my Kowa an almost tearful "goodbye" (do we all get attached to our first scopes?). I spent almost the whole journey home with a silly grin on my face muttering "I've got a new scope!". Now all I have to do is work out the best way of using my Nikon Coolpix 885 or a borrowable 4500 to carry on digiscoping.
Having said all that, if I hadn't tried the Leica I would have been as pleased as Punch with the new Kowa 30xW eyepiece, so for anyone else considering the swap do check it out. Just think carefully if someone says "Fancy trying this Leica...?" !!

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back